The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone fish above the dam and launch at the park..Never fished there and was not sure how far up river this time of year you can get with a prop motor.River down here around Harrisburg is very low and tough to get around.

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
My one late uncle, my moms one older brother , use to fish just below the dam. But he fished from the shore though . I know the the area you`re talking about. From the dam south to Harrisburg. Down near Liverpool might be a good area to try. Also above the dam to the split in the river at Northumberland and the left branch north to Winfield / Lewisburg area. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My one late uncle, my moms one older brother , use to fish just below the dam. But he fished from the shore though . I know the the area you`re talking about. From the dam south to Harrisburg. Down near Liverpool might be a good area to try. Also above the dam to the split in the river at Northumberland and the left branch north to Winfield / Lewisburg area. Hope this helps.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Put your boat in at Shady Nook in Selinsgrove behind Sheets and go up river to the old PPL plant and there is a small dam there. Great cat and bass fishing there. Get some stone cats and you will catch some big bass. My buddy and i were fishing there the other year and we were using Stone cats and he hooked into what we thought was a musky, we couldnt believe a carp at that stone cat. It was huge. The other summer in Sunbury there was a nice school of stripers in the river. We didnt catch any of them but the best time we fished it was in October and November for the Walley bite. From Selinsgrove to the Fabridam we do extremely well. The one year by the old PPL plant bass and walleye werent biting to well but we caught easily over 50 fat rock bass. Good luck

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Put your boat in at Shady Nook in Selinsgrove behind Sheets and go up river to the old PPL plant and there is a small dam there. Great cat and bass fishing there. Get some stone cats and you will catch some big bass. My buddy and i were fishing there the other year and we were using Stone cats and he hooked into what we thought was a musky, we couldnt believe a carp at that stone cat. It was huge. The other summer in Sunbury there was a nice school of stripers in the river. We didnt catch any of them but the best time we fished it was in October and November for the Walley bite. From Selinsgrove to the Fabridam we do extremely well. The one year by the old PPL plant bass and walleye werent biting to well but we caught easily over 50 fat rock bass. Good luck
Thanks for the info.Can I get there with a prop motor?

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
HSY93 , around the Liverpool area ,a prop motor would work . Not sure about between Liverpool and the fiber dam at Sunbury. Like pchunter1231 said it might be spotty getting thru. Above the dam to Lewisburg you shouldn`t have a problem either.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HSY93 , around the Liverpool area ,a prop motor would work . Not sure about between Liverpool and the fiber dam at Sunbury. Like pchunter1231 said it might be spotty getting thru. Above the dam to Lewisburg you shouldn`t have a problem either.
Thanks. Again. I struggled getting up river at Liverpool last summer with my 20hp due to extra weight like I do near home. First time I launched there. May have to throw the 9.9 back on for the low conditions.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Montgomery ferry launch is ok, we were there yesterday...I have a 20 hp prop on mine, I'm good to go 2' and deeper ,less than 18" I start to get nervous. Shadynook is good, as well as above the fiberdam and up both branches for a ways.

Liverpool can get pretty skinny.

I rarely ever crank up the motor on the susquehanna or juniata in the summer unless I am someplace I really am familiar with. Although you will run shallower on plane you will do far less damage if you bump those rocks sticking up, rather than smashing into them on plane.

I'm more concerned with the launch being deep enough to get the bunks in the water than shallow water once im in.. But then I go prepared with shorts and wading shoes if I have to jump out and pull through the shallows. I do stay away from extremely shallow though, it's a real pain to get your boat hung up on rocks in only a couple inches of water.

If I were a die hard river rat id run a aluminum and a jet on a light boat.

But we fish raystown, and other lakes often...so motor deck livewell, etc is nice on a lake....there is a trade off either way......on the lakes I wish I had more motor a boat a little longer than 16'....in the river I wish I had a jet.

I can plane out right around 30 mph...on a lake, and I can still go most but certainly not everywhere in the rivers....it's a compromise either way.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Montgomery ferry launch is ok, we were there yesterday...I have a 20 hp prop on mine, I'm good to go 2' and deeper ,less than 18" I start to get nervous. Shadynook is good, as well as above the fiberdam and up both branches for a ways.

Liverpool can get pretty skinny.

I rarely ever crank up the motor on the susquehanna or juniata in the summer unless I am someplace I really am familiar with. Although you will run shallower on plane you will do far less damage if you bump those rocks sticking up, rather than smashing into them on plane.

I'm more concerned with the launch being deep enough to get the bunks in the water than shallow water once im in.. But then I go prepared with shorts and wading shoes if I have to jump out and pull through the shallows. I do stay away from extremely shallow though, it's a real pain to get your boat hung up on rocks in only a couple inches of water.

If I were a die hard river rat id run a aluminum and a jet on a light boat.

But we fish raystown, and other lakes often...so motor deck livewell, etc is nice on a lake....there is a trade off either way......on the lakes I wish I had more motor a boat a little longer than 16'....in the river I wish I had a jet.

I can plane out right around 30 mph...on a lake, and I can still go most but certainly not everywhere in the rivers....it's a compromise either way.
Thanks for info.Wanted to run up there today but not sure with this rain if the river would be churned up?Yes..A jet is the way to go.I only go WOT in known waters also.

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
If your interested in lakes and lake fishing , there is 3 nice lakes above Mansfield . Two in between Mansfield and Lawrenceville along route 15, and the other just west of Lawrenceville along route 49. The first two are the Tioga / Hammond lakes and the other along 49 is the Cowenesque (sp) . All have boat launches and very nice area.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If your interested in lakes and lake fishing , there is 3 nice lakes above Mansfield . Two in between Mansfield and Lawrenceville along route 15, and the other just west of Lawrenceville along route 49. The first two are the Tioga / Hammond lakes and the other along 49 is the Cowenesque (sp) . All have boat launches and very nice area.
Thanks

·
Registered
235 Posts
With a prop you have about 1.5 to 2 miles of the Sunbury pool below the confluence. In the North Branch there is 2-3 miles of good water, which you can see the rocks showing above the 3 islands at the head of that side. In the West Branch have around 3 miles and you are safe to the top of the last island ( more or less clustered and lined up as you head up river) where it opens for a good mile towards Lewisburg. That flat is runable with a prop but starts getting thin where the boat launch is on the right side. (Guys will run into this flat with a glass bass boat prop, but they know it from years of running there)

A jet is definitely the way to go on any river and can handle most water conditions if setup well. Then again it’s figuring out where you will be fishing most and make do the other times.
I hope you fished today and did well!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With a prop you have about 1.5 to 2 miles of the Sunbury pool below the confluence. In the North Branch there is 2-3 miles of good water, which you can see the rocks showing above the 3 islands at the head of that side. In the West Branch have around 3 miles and you are safe to the top of the last island ( more or less clustered and lined up as you head up river) where it opens for a good mile towards Lewisburg. That flat is runable with a prop but starts getting thin where the boat launch is on the right side. (Guys will run into this flat with a glass bass boat prop, but they know it from years of running there)

A jet is definitely the way to go on any river and can handle most water conditions if setup well. Then again it’s figuring out where you will be fishing most and make do the other times.
I hope you fished today and did well!
thanks for the info..No fishing due to this crazy weather I did not make the drive up there.Now that I have all the good advise Hopefully next week.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I haven’t been up there the last few years, but there are normally some good fish in the pools. Up towards where you can read the ledges again and away from the most boat traffic.

·
Registered
11,826 Posts
Just an FYI: I crossed the N. Branch today. It was over the banks and running high, fast and muddy. It may be a few days until its fishable and we are having more storms now but not as bad as the past few days.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Any report on how muddy it is up in Sunbury area?Want finally get up there tomorrow.River is a muddy mess in Hbg.Been wanting to get out for 2 weeks.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Not sure about now but it was blown out last weekend.

we were in the juniata , and some guys told us they had tried the susky earlier in the morning, in a little 12' semi v with a little prop on it, told us it was darn near life threatening.

Don't underestimate these rivers when they are high, especially in a small boat.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts