The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now is a good time to cut down those sumac trees growing in the brushy areas. The rabbits will appreciate the bark as a food source when the crust prevents access to others. I've found they like the younger ones.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I leave my sumac alone. I watch as the bluebirds come back and the sumac is one of the first trees they go to. The red cones are full of insects and they are hungry.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I agree, I've cut them down before and returned days later to find them stripped of all the bark.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Its terrible wood for a campfire I can tell you that.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
yeah, sumac is a soft wood, worthless as a fire wood. I'll tell you though, that and Ailanthis, are two trees, native or not, that animals and songbirds find very beneficial. They love em. I've seen deer literally MOW the leaves off of doned trees that I've cut in the summertime, and yes, the rabbits LOVE the bark. I have no qualms cutting either. They are the most prevalent trees on my farm, and if you stump cut without treating with spray, you'll have multiple shoots that grow to 10' in one year.

·
Registered
24,761 Posts
I just cut maple browse last week for the bunnies and deer... Saw a bunch of crows hammering the sumac pods this AM... Won't be too long and the turkeys will b e after the pods as well

1 - 6 of 6 Posts