The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found my first Sulfur of this season on Saturday. Split it with a friend, had a few meals, and there's still plenty in the fridge!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Sulfur mushrooms are chicken-of-the-woods. My uncle and I have always called them sulfurs but I'm not sure how that name came about.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Can't eat um. Cool to find but! I just havn't aquired a taste. Morels, well that's a different story.

·
Registered
16,458 Posts
Would like to get after Chantrelles. Some claim they are better than Morels. I just can't bring myself to trapse the woods in the heat of July searching for them. Maybe someday I'll pull up my big boy britches and go looking for em.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I think the term sulfer comes from the color they have. As in sulfur creek water being orange. I am a morel hunter through and through but let me tell you chantrelles are AWESOME!

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Is this a sulphur?? When I came upon it on SGL this AM all I could think is that it has to be a sulphur from the color. No gills underneath. It's in the fridge, but not cooking/eating unless I get positive confirmation. And NO, will not send it to someone on here for testing

BTW if it's a sulphur, what's a good way to cook it. Butter and Garlic? Chives?
Thx fur lookin

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Thats a sulfur for sure. When they are real fresh and you cut them water seeps out of them. We mix up some egg and milk and coat them lightly. Throw on a little seasoned salt and flour maybe some garlic powder. Treat it like chicken. It has the same texture anyway

·
Registered
16,458 Posts
yep, those are "chicken of the woods". Completely edible, however probably better putting in a broth for soup stock and such rather than eating by itself. There are much better choices by way of edible mushrooms out there.

That said, try it and see what you think

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I found online that you can eat the ones found on hard woods trees, but don't eat one found on fur or pine trees. Any truth to that? Thx for info all!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts