The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

suggestions to call birds from field into woods

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  AimSmallMissSmall 
#1 ·
Novice turkey hunter here. Only been going a few years but love it!

Is it possible to call morning turkeys from fields into the woods? I would guess aggressive calling to get hens fired-up could do it. If so, what call sequence, cadence, amount would you suggest? Or other things to try? Normal hen yelping, etc. hasn’t been effective to split a tom from the hens to check us out. Toms respond to us, but it has been invitations for us to join them. Thanks!

Here’s our scenario:
Patterned birds a lot last season at this location and same thing yesterday on youth day with my son. Field is on posted land where hasn’t been sign of it being hunted at all, lightly hunted at best. Public land woods borders it, there’s a 150-175 yd. strip of posted land woods in between posted field and public land woods. There’s definitely an opportunity when hens move into woods mid-morning to nest and drag toms with them; we saw this happen last season. There’s a lot of turkey sign on the public land; they clearly use it for feeding on acorns and nesting. Roosting mostly occurs on the private land, however the public land side sees some too. We can’t roost birds the night before due to distance we have to travel. Aside from getting a roll-the-dice chance for a nearby roosted bird to gobble to an owl hoot before light, we’re left with being frustratingly close to them gobbling like mad in the field without enough know-how to bring’em into the woods toward us, if possible.

See less See more
#2 ·
Turkeys can be called anywhere. Anywhere they want to go, that is.

I have set up in the woods and killed a number of field birds. Get as close to the field as you can without getting busted by the bird(s). Best to be within shotgun range of the field edge if at all possible. Pick a setup that allows the bird a clear walk and a clear view into the openest part of the woods you can set up in. Sound like a real turkey when you call. A decoy won't hurt...…...set her as high on the stake as you can. Get ready to shoot the SECOND the gobbler steps across the property line. I have had them come barging straight into the woods at me...…… I have had them come in a little ways and skirt the edge.

Go get him !!! Best of luck !!

#3 ·
I have found sitting about 60 yards or so inside the woods, where the gobbler has to leave the field to see you, has been effective. I have a spot like that that I usually kill a bird every year or so. Good luck.

#4 · (Edited)
If the birds want to be in the fields first thing in the morning and you don't have access, best bet is to give them a go later on in the morning, closer to quitting time. The hens are going want to filter back into the woods in late morning to lay.

First light is for strutting, courting etc.... Often occurs in more open areas. Be patient and wait it out in the timber calling softly and sparingly just in case there is a bird already in there. If no action, sit tight and wait till after 9. If you don't have the patience to wait, consider just going in at 9 and starting your hunt.

Patience has killed just as many birds as aggressive tactics. Sounds like patience will be the key for you. Most hang it up by 10 but the hunting can be just as good if not better.

#5 ·
Good info on all the above posts, dpms hit the nail on the head with his last sentence ….Be patient and he will come sooner or later, Gobblers are hard to call in when they are with hens, once they leave him, he may come looking for love...

#6 ·
I have a similar area I hunted a few years back. The gobblers would roost on game land and fly directly into a posted field gobble all morning, answer calls for hours while they spent time with the hens.

Early in the season like the first two weeks the gobblers would stay in the field with the hens until after shooting time. A few trips I took my gun to the car and return to watch after shooting time to determine which way the hens left to their nest areas and which way the gobbler left.

Later in the season I would see the hens sneaking away from the gobblers earlier each day. One day an hour or so before quitting time I watch the hens leave, one went within feet of me and later I saw the gobbler return to the woods some 80 yards from me, so I slipped in behind him and set on his route from the field and called to him.

I believe he thought a hen was still in or had returned to the field he had just left. I set up then called. He answered with a gobble, but he took his good old time almost an hour retuning toward the field, but he did and I took him home that day finally.

He was a challenge as I had hunted him for several days and felt a great accomplishment for finally winning the waiting game. I have never hunted that area since, but often think of that hunt.

If I was to hunt that area again it would be later in the season, hunt some place else early morning and then proceed to that area around to 10 AM in the morning for a set up attempting to catch the gobblers leaving the field after the hens have abandon him. I believe this set up with patience would provide an opportunity most every year....

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.