The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting the new beagle pup acclimated to hunting. Looking for suggestions on an E-Collar. Last beagle we used sport dog collars with good success. Was thinking of adding a gps component but it appears sport dog doesn't offer that.

Garmin units are super pricey. If I had more than 1 dog I'd consider those but for one it seems overkill.

Any suggestions on a solution? Maybe sport dog collar with secondary gps tracking through another vendor?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Buy a Garmin Alpha with a mini TT15 and don't look back. Yes they are a little expensive but worth every penny and you get everything you want in one collar. If you need any help or have any questions feel free to message me.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've had good success with the Garmin training collars. I have not used the GPS collars, but do use Garmin GPS devices for fishing and hunting and like those. If I were buying one it would be Garmin.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Sport dog 3225, for training, garmin for locating. Problem with some garmins, the hand held does not use regular batteries and has a battery pack. Everybody has AA batteries, but only garmin has battery packs. I use AA rechargables.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Soup I'm with John-Pa on this one.. Especially if you plan to hunt at camp.. We have a Garmin 320, it can be a life saver and save you alot of time looking for a hound you think may be "Out Of Pocket" on you... We have a separate Sportdog shocker for deer breaking that we have not needed in years that is why we don't have the Alpha Garmin...

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you already have the sportsdog e collar then get a used 320 GPS from collar clinic or a legit company that will offer some type of warranty.
If you have nothing now, then go invest in the alpha gps. Like others say it awesome,

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the suggestions. I will look into picking up a Garmin alpha. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one on sale lol

·
Registered
332 Posts
They do run specials from time to time. Buy from a reputable company. If you find some kind of deal on Facebook or elsewhere and it looks to good to be true it is. I highly recommend Double U hunting supply. The customer service is top notch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts