The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to get into cross-bow hunting this year and im staggered by the seemingly endless options when it comes to purchasing a new crossbow. Im looking for something durable accurate and deadly out to 40 yards or so..... Any suggestions on what to purchase? ....the only stipulation being.... it has to be something Cabela's carries as i have a 220 dollar credit to the store or website. So far i was leaning towards the Parker Safari Magnum 160..... but i'd like to hear any other opinions. Thanks Doods!
-Ken

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have an enforcer and I think its great, Best to pick some up and hold them to see what feels best for you,
Stan

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Ten Points are kinda the top of the line, but awful pricey. Don't think you need to spend 2 grand to get a decent bow. I'd lean toward the Parkers or Excaliburs. A few hundred bucks cheaper. Kill just as dead as anything else I'd imagine. Last I checked brand names weren't a factor in killing deer. That would be accuracy/ skill of shooter, and putting a razor sharp blade with suffient penetration through the boiler room. That's about it. Can't go wrong with any of the reputable brands.

·
Banned
22,296 Posts
Check out that Arrowhead banner at the top right of the screen. I have heard nothing but positive comments about dealing with him. Good bet he could give you advice.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Under $500 you are looking at the Enforcer 160 from Parker or the Excalibur Axiom from Excalibur.

The Parker Safari Magnum 160 is something that I'm not familiar with as I think it's a Cabelas only item. It should be just fine though as it's a Parker and should have the lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
I would lean towards the Parkers at the price point you mentioned. Give the Ten Point Wicked Ridge line a look as well. Parker, Ten Point and Excalibur have top notch customer service and top notch quality.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Fellas- after doing some considerable homework and hoping to get the most bang for my coinage.... i did go with the Parker Safari Mag 160. .....oddly enough however... I cant seem to find it in Parkers web-system At all... its specs lay between the 150 and 175 models above and below it in its 2008 production year.. there is no mention of its particular camo pattern.. no mention of parker Ever offering a 4x scope.. .....but like Arrow Said..... i imagine it SHOULD be covered by the Parker blanket of safety. At any rate, it got stellar customer reviews.... so when it arrives at my doorstep.. i'll pop back on here and let u all know how it works out. (provided i can assemble it) ...the guy at the wheeling cabelas archery counter said they cannot keep them in stock and internet sales are flying. Which is understandable at that deal. Lifetime protection coupled with 330 fps at 399? Tough to beat. heres the link in case anyone wants to check it out before they are all scooped up.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...-box.jsp.form23

1 - 10 of 10 Posts