The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all:

I'm not looking for anyone to give up their good luck spots or anything like that, but If anyone can give me any advice on a some general areas were I can take my son for spring turkey this year, I would really appreciate it! Looking for anywhere in or around Lackawanna County. I've been out of the game for awhile, but my son (14 years old) wanted to start and we go back into it, however we haven't had any real success. I'd love him to get a bird! Thanks in advance

Vince

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
exactly any game lands up there hold lots of birds. If you can travel Wayne County GL are loaded with birds. Get out there and scout, you will get into the birds. Take your boy with you and help him learn the scouting of the birds. He will enjoy it so much more if he is able to call one in and kill one if he participated in the whole process. Good luck

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Pre season scouting is a blast. I'm 53 and I can remember the times my father took me. I have been back to some of the same spots from 40 years ago, And I have killed gobblers in several of the places. Boots on the ground and time with your kids, what else could a man ask for.

·
Registered
495 Posts
There are no turkeys in that part of the state. Just kidding. If I don't do our NWTF youth hunt (Easter weekend may cancel our usual event) I will be looking for a youth hunter. I should know soon.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! Great info. My son and I are in the processes of planning a scouting trip to State Game Land 300. Went out and bought a tree camera and watching lots of youtube on scouting and hunting turkey. I'll post updates! Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Not sure how much that trail camera will help with scouting turkeys, but a few daybreaks (on good days) in April on a higher area will. Find those good listening spots now and get to know the terrain.... be back in April to listen.

·
Super Moderator
13,430 Posts
The is how I have scouted for the last couple of decades. I do not go wondering around the woods even thought I do enjoy that as I now have 4+ high hills I go to before daylight where I can hear gobblers for a mile or so and listen...they will tell you where they at.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Definitely, get him out scouting, take your breakfast with you. Northern warblers migrate through in early May too so take a bird book and binoculars if that's of any interest. Always enjoyed the turkey, warbler, trout fishing, wild flower outings when I was that age.

Edited to add: and grouse drumming and bringing back some wild leeks.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I've been known to ask mailmen, local/state cops, newspaper delivery, trashmen, etc. - anyone who might be in the area i'm interested in if they are seeing any birds. Springing for their coffee at the local "quickie mart" helps loosen tongues ... LOL

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Definitely, get him out scouting, take your breakfast with you. Northern warblers migrate through in early May too so take a bird book and binoculars if that's of any interest. Always enjoyed the turkey, warbler, trout fishing, wild flower outings when I was that age.

Edited to add: and grouse drumming and bringing back some wild leeks.

Good stuff here! The Warblers peak my interest as well! Thank you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts