The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
I have a Remington 1187 3.5" with the thumbhole stock and have no complaints. Comp-n-Choke tube and Winchester black box (XXT12L5 (2-1/4 oz) #5 shot at 1150 fps).
The stock allows you to hold the shotgun in position for extended periods of time and the above combination has worked very well for me.

· Registered
14 Posts
I agree with Pahack the 835 is a tried and true workhorse
probably put down more turkeys since it came out than any other turkey gun. They are priced well and are reliable. They really will put turkeys down 50+yds no problem, obviously I recommend. Trying to get the birds close but if one hung up the 835 is up to the task.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Ok after hearing everyone's comments and doing some research of my own I have narrowed it down to Mossberg 535 or Remington 870. I went to the gun shop today to check them both out, but forgot about the political announcements that were made today. The crowd at the counter made it so that I couldn't even get close enough to check them out haha. Oh well...I will go back another day and report with further details haha

· Registered
1,410 Posts
I'm not a Mossberg fan but I think you will find that an 835 will pattern better than the 535 because of the overbored barrel. I've have/had a 500, 835, 870, and 1100. I personally use a Baikal 3.5 auto for turkeys but, even though nothing will pattern like an 835, I would buy a Remington if forced to choose between the two, probably an 1187 3". If your forearm is rattling, or the plastic safety is stuck, or the sight falls off, it really won't matter if you have the best patterning gun ever made.

· Registered
3,806 Posts
Pattern is a function of the gun/choke/shell combo, not just the gun. I wouldn't say the 835 is the best patterning gun ever made. Any gun can be set up to throw a wicked pattern if youre willing to put the time and money into it. That being said, if you want the best chance at getting a good pattern right off the bat, by just grabbing a tukrey choke and screwing it in, and some turkey loads, the 835 is your best bet. I've got a Benelli SBE II that I've spent a great deal of time with at the patterning board, and it would put to shame many of the turkey gun patterns I've seen. My pattern at 60 looks better than a lot of guys patterns do at 40.(Note, I wouldn't shoot at a turkey that far, I just patterned it that far one day to see what it would do). I had an 835 that shot just a tad better, with much less work. I sold the 835, and kept the benelli. It just didn't seem right leaving an 1800 dollar gun at home to carry a 400 dollar one. If I wouldn't have won the 835, I would never have owned one. However, for what it was, it was a great turkey smasher!

· Registered
1,168 Posts
I'm an 870 guy. Have an 1187, HAD an 835 (hated it), and am picking up a browning gold 10. I go out of my way to use that 870 for turkey. Thing looks like it has been through a war and drug behind a truck for 10 miles but it still stops them dead in their tracks with 3" #5. More of a sentimental thing... If I was really serious about dumping them at long distance I'd be shooting 2 1/4 oz, 3.5", 10 gauge hevi shot. I figure that if I can't pull them into 45 yards or closer, I don't deserve it.

However, if I were to buy another 12 gauge pump, it'd be the 870 magnum so you have the option of 3.5 inch shells. Not that they are needed, but nice to have the option.

Sidebar... hated the mossberg 835 because it just didn't cycle properly at all times on the second shell. It would periodically drop the second shell out the bottom and require another pump to bring the 3rd shell in. Not that a 2nd shot is always needed, but it shouldn't have happened. My uncle had an older Mossberg that did the exact same thing. Since then, I've opted to steer clear.

· Registered
3,280 Posts
Yup. Get the 870 Super Mag SPS Turkey if you're going to get one at all. The Shur Shot stock will do WONDERS for the rediculous recoil you'll be getting in that gun from those heavy turkey loads and makes the gun just that much easier to hold at the ready for extended periods... Add a set of Williams Fire Sights or a weaver rail and a red dot/scope and you're all set. My buddy's 870 SPS SM actually patterned pretty well with the stock SF choke too.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.