The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

New Turkey Hunter here. Just wanted to get some suggestions on a good starter shotgun. Also, I plan on doing some duck hunting as well so something that works for both would be a plus.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,191 Posts
Remington 870, 12 gage 3.5 inch chamber. Call John at Seneca Arms in Green Lane and see what he has in the used gun racks.

·
Super Moderator
12,784 Posts
I would go with a 12 ga. either semi auto or pump 3" It will take turkey, ducks and geese.

There are many good new and used ones to fit most budgets.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
get a 3 1/2 semi right up front ,, dont buy a starter shotgun only to upgrade later ,, it will be cheaper in the long run and you be happier

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Rem 870 express, 12 gauge, 3 inch with Remchoke. Find a good turkey choke/shell combo and you are set. I like Nitro shells and a Comp-n-choke xxfull for my 870.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I am partial to the Mossberg 835! You will always have the 3.5 option! Stay away from the Remington 887.... total junk!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I've used a 835 for quite a few years with no complaints. It's certainly not a top-end shotgun but has never let me down. I have a NIB 835 I got at a NWTF function several years ago...PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
PSA said:
Rem 870 express, 12 gauge, 3 inch with Remchoke. Find a good turkey choke/shell combo and you are set. I like Nitro shells and a Comp-n-choke xxfull for my 870.
Anther 870 man here....and you'll never need to "upgrade".

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all of the feedback guys. I had been looking at 870s prior to this and i think this has cemented it for me. Do you prefer the camo stock or wood stock?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
ryand0818 said:
does it really make that much of a difference or is it just a personal preference?
Camo finish REALLY does NOT make much difference. I have turkey shotguns that are full camo and others that are matte blue. I have NEVER lost a turkey because my shotgun was'nt camo. Camo looks cool though!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Its always nice to have the 3.5 "option, but its not needed. 3"er's will knock them dead too! and at 40 to 50 yards. And good choice in the 870! Solid platform, killed zillions of turkeys since its inception, and your gonna be pleased. Just don't get talked into that Rem 887... Total JUNK!! Sights, I use a red dot cause my eyes are 40 years old... but anything fiber optic if your goin hard and doing it the right way!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Pahack said:
Its always nice to have the 3.5 "option, but its not needed. 3"er's will knock them dead too! and at 40 to 50 yards. And good choice in the 870! Solid platform, killed zillions of turkeys since its inception, and your gonna be pleased. Just don't get talked into that Rem 887... Total JUNK!! Sights, I use a red dot cause my eyes are 40 years old... but anything fiber optic if your goin hard and doing it the right way!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts