The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a good cartridge for white tail and or black bear? Don't know much about them but i like them more than any other. Ty

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Concentrate on what kind of lever action appeals to you and don't worry so much about the cartridge...They all work under the right conditions, and they all fail under the wrong conditions..Everything has a trade-off...More power means more recoil, less power means you have to be more selective with your shots. In the woods, you might find me with a Winchester Model 94 in 30/30 or 32 Special, or perhaps a Winchester Model 71 in 348 Win....Maybe a Savage 99 in 358 Win. , or a Winchester Model 88 in the same caliber..Can't go wrong with a Marlin 45/70 or 444 either..Out in a field I might choose a Winchester Model 88 in 284 Win., or a Browning BLR in 308...Each cartridge mentioned will do the job if you do yours, however, the rifles are all different kinds of lever actions, and I would suggest that you check a bunch out and pick whichever one suits you most, don't worry so much about the cartridge.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have a marlin 336 that is my trusty farm rifle, I use it for everything from whitetail to groundhogs, I love the 30-30, fairly light, and with the right cartridge for the gun (mine likes federal 170s) it will group nicely at 100 yards.

as far as black bear I know there was a guy who had a hunting show a little while back that he was taking every game species on north america with the gun and he did go bear hunting, however, I don't know that I would want to rely on that cartridge for bear.

The lever guns are built with actions that are not designed for high pressure cartridges that is why the 30-30 is not faster. it is still a 30 caliber bullet just like a 30-06 just much slower and a lot less recoil.

If you are set on a lever gun I don't off hand of any for bear, however it will serve you well for PA deer hunting.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Pretty tough to beat a Marlin 1894 in 44 magnum or 45 Colt. Fantastic rifles for woods hunters. Easy to scope if you want to. And the ammo is cheaper than rifle ammo if you do not reload. Tom.

And they are pretty also!!!!!

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I would go for a Marlin 336 in 30/30. Stoke it with 170 gr or even better the Hornady Leverevolution.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm a big fan of the old Winchester Model 88 in 308 or .243
The BLR in 308
Or the Savage in .300 Savage.

Either way - you are going to pay dearly for one right now.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, alot of fans of the cowboy guns i see. The 45/70 i saw on tv looked like a beast. I have an old 444 marlin, i love it but the scopes like a knife....cut ya if you hold it wrong.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
My first real whitetail rifle was a Winchester pre-64 88 in .308 and I still have it, it is a good shooter. Since then my lever action addiction has become worse... currently own about 8 diffefent models, mostly of the Winchester variety. One Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70 is a pure hunting rifle.

My favorite, although today they can get expensive - is the Winchester 1894 rifle with the full tube magazine and 26" barrel.

I have a 30WCF (30-30) 1894 full rifle made in 1903, with a Lyman tang sight, that is just a beauty to look at and shoot, I would say that is my favorite. I get a kick out of it when people see it and say - man what is that rifle and I did not know they made them other than the normal carbines.

Lever actions and Winchester 94 are pretty much one and the same. I guess the Marlin people can say the same out the 336/1895 actions. Both are great designs and have stood the test of time. I enjoy both, I am just more of a Winchester person.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How bad does that 45/70 kick?

·
Registered
25,491 Posts
Had a 444 Marlin for many years and took several deer with it. Recoil was never a problem, nor was scope bite, when I briefly had a scope on it. For a lever gun, always thought it was far more accurate than should have been expected?

Scoped and rested, it would typically shoot three shot cloverleaf groups @ 100 yards with the 200gr loads. No problem holding 3 inside of two inches, with the Williams receiver sight it wore most of the time I had it.

'Course it was the original model, with 24" barrel and the big, clunky butt stock w/recoil pad and all I ever shot in it, were some 240gr Rem factory loads and mostly my own 200gr HP loads. Might account for the comfy recoil?

Someone else's M1895 Marlin, shooting fairly peppy 300gr loads, appeared to produce far more recoil, than my M444 did.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
SAVAGE 99 in a .300, a used one, and I bet it will come to your shoulder better than all of the above!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The 444m never hurt my shoulder just my face, poorly mounted scope i am sure.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I love the 88's. I have a custom .284 and a .308 and love them. A .358 would be nice but they are hard to find and really pricey.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts