The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke a 6.5" section off the tip of my spinning rod. The rod is a St Croix Avid 5.6" UL 2 piece. I know I can order a new top section from St. Croix for $60 but I was wondering if you guys know of any cheap way I can try to fix the broken section myself.

·
20,128 Posts
St Croix has a lifetime warranty if I'm not mistaken?

Splicing is more of a professional thing but it can certainly be fixed. My advice on something like that would be to locate a rod builder in your area and just pay to have them fix it. It's will probably be a good bit cheaper then a new top peice.

If you really wanna go cheap just use electrical tape. It looks 'ghetto' but it works. I've fished trout rods for weeks on end by just overlapping the broken ends 1-3" and taping it good and tight. Get a good stretch on the tape. I never leave home without it and ive fixed several rods stream side over the years to continue fishing without skipping a beat. I'll patch up more in the future. I consider electrical tape to be one of the most important things I carry fishing with me.

But call St. Croix about the warranty or at least research that.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response Trout2003. I checked the warranty policy with St.Croix and they stand good for any break that was caused by defective workmanship but unfortunately my rod broke because of stupidity on my part. I think there is a rod builder in my area so I'll check with him.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I just had the same thing happen to my Trout series 5' 6" St. Croix rod. The upper half of the rod cost me $30.00. Even with the warranty it was still going to cost roughly the same..

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
Trout180 said:
I broke a 6.5" section off the tip of my spinning rod. The rod is a St Croix Avid 5.6" UL 2 piece. I know I can order a new top section from St. Croix for $60 but I was wondering if you guys know of any cheap way I can try to fix the broken section myself.
My dad and I both use 6'6" light St Croix rods. Last year, he broke the tip end of his rod and I broke the butt end of mine. So I bought him a new rod for Christmas and now I'm using the leftovers of the broken ones from last year. Glad to see I'm not the only barbarian who breaks his own pole.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
It can happen to anyone at any time. I've had it happen a couple times when trying to free a snagged lure and had the lure snap up, hit the tip and break it.

I had a rod break once the first or second time I used it. It broke about 1/2 way up the rod. There was a flaw in the blank.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Not a suggestion, but many years ago I was using a brand new Fenwick ultra light rod and snagged on a bush. Tried snapping it hard and broke the tip, never did that again.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Didn't the Bee Gees record a song called, "How Can You Mend a Broken Rod?"

(Some of you may not be old enough to get the reference).

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
I liked some of their songs; pre-Saturday Night Fever. Not a fan of disco music.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts