The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pics of successful youth hunters at our Pheasants Forever/PGC Mentored Youth Hunt. We had 5 girls out of 30 youth, a definite increase.

·
Super Moderator
13,709 Posts
Pheasants Forever Chapter 630 hosted 58 of the 59 youth registered for the first Saturday of the Mentored Youth Pheasant Hunts. There was one youth that didn’t show up but it was a great day for those who did show up. You can visit our web site at http://northcentralpa.pheasantsforever.org/ and click on the Shutterfly application to view pictures of our many hunt adventures though I am not sure yesterday’s hunt is updated to the site yet.

Following are pictures of the youth from the two mentored hunts scheduled for my dog and me.

This first one shows a young hunter with his first harvest of game. He had enough misses that I actually had him convinced we didn’t give the new hunters shells with bbs in them until we were sure they were safe to have real shells. Sure enough he got the very next bird up.

In the next picture the taller of the boys was the hunter but I think his 10-year-old brother was just as excited to be part of the hunt as the lad with the gun was.

After the mentored hunts were all over for the day I took two other young lads, who had missed our mandatory safety day, out on their first hunts. Both got a bird but I forgot to get pictures of their harvests.

I have another new hunter and her Grandfather lined up for to hunt tomorrow morning since the youth don’t have school tomorrow.

Next Saturday our Pheasants Forever Chapter have another 36 youth signed up for the second round of our Mentored Pheasant Hunt Days.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Super Moderator
24,058 Posts
Congrats to all

·
Registered
455 Posts
Great job and thanks for all you do, Lynn and Dick. I'm firmly convinced that nothing hooks a kid on hunting like the support and success of these mentored hunts.

However, I think maybe PF Chapter 630 might need to start checking IDs for its youth hunt. That "youngster" on the left in the first picture and second from the right in the second photo looks like he might be more than a few days over 16 years old.

BTW, when the rain breaks my son and I will be out today.

·
Registered
635 Posts
grousechaser said:
Great job and thanks for all you do, Lynn and Dick. I'm firmly convinced that nothing hooks a kid on hunting like the support and success of these mentored hunts.

However, I think maybe PF Chapter 630 might need to start checking IDs for its youth hunt. That "youngster" on the left in the first picture and second from the right in the second photo looks like he might be more than a few days over 16 years old.

BTW, when the rain breaks my son and I will be out today.
No way a 16-year-old is growing a moustache like that.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Great job volunteers, dogs & junior hunters. I should have a finished dog for next year's hunt and plan to volunteer our services towards this great youth event. Would've this year but he's still not quite steady to flush.

Had him out near me yesterday and he found 5 birds in under an hour. Bumped the first two immediately and then pointed the other 3. Ten seconds out of the truck, he found & pointed a "bonus" cockbird in cover on our own property later when we got home. Sure doesn't take long for the birds to disperse.

·
Super Moderator
13,709 Posts
Besides hosting mentored youth during both Saturdays of the youth pheasant season, Chapter 630 also donates six pheasant hunts to be awarded, in the prize drawings, at each the Elk and Jefferson County Youth Field Day Events.

This morning my dog, Boomer, and I had Josey, one of the hunt winners, out with her Grandfather, Tom, as her mentor. Even though Josey didn’t make any harvests I think she still had a good time, at least until she had become almost completely soaked from the wet grass that was over her head in places. I promised her that, unlike today, the next time out we would let her have at least a few shells loaded with BB’s instead of just powder.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Good job guys! Our chapter 803 youth hunt had 52 hunters.
Most got a bird or two but a few ended up missing their
shots. All the kids had fun, it was a great day overall!
We took 12 more youths today and most of them limited out!
I don't have pics but you can view them at our website if
you'd like. www.nepapf.org

·
Registered
921 Posts
Was another great,SAFE hunt with Cory and all the guys from #803. It ended up the one young man happens to live right at the end of my road and probley would of never met him if not for this great outing and now will have a new hunting partner!

·
Super Moderator
13,709 Posts
Boomer and I worked birds for this first year hunter this evening after school. It took several points and a few warm up shots but he did eventually get his two birds.

While Boomer and I were hunting one area with Shane and his Dad another of our Chapter members had one of the hunter winners from the Jefferson County Youth Field day out on another part of the same area of game lands. The hunt winner’s sister is also a hunter so they made it a family ordeal of it with the two sisters as the hunters. They too found, shot at a number of birds and harvested a couple of them.

Dick Bodenhorn

1 - 18 of 18 Posts