The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
905 Posts
mattysloane said:
50 min drive and 5 minutes in the stand results in a down doe!
Congrats, wish I could have been able to make it with you. Very happy you had such success and so quickly!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,314 Posts
Then don't participate! No place for comments like that in this thread.

Congrats to the OP!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,637 Posts
Veal, its whats for dinner and dinner is good!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
905 Posts
HighCountry66 said:
Veal, its whats for dinner and dinner is good!
Especially when it's from Catelli Brothers...my grandfather worked for a long long time with the company, so I'm well used to see and having veal from them (when he worked there before retiring and passing away).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ttom802 said:
What do you do with the fully developed fawns? To each is his own just isnt the same to me...
Foxes and buzzards need to eat too. 25% of the redtag hunting I do for me, the other 75% of the time I try to satisfy the request of landowners who need hunters to participate in this program. I much rather not dress out a doe with fawns in them but I do, its not the most pleasant thing but its gotta be done and there are worst things. The reward of my redtag efforts is an open invitation to hunt on property that produces opportunity after opportunity for me and a few others. try being part of a solution.

Been away since the harvest. Made the last post from the treestand after i shot what i thought was a yearling doe. Got down from the tree and walked up to the deer and down was a yearling male with maybe 2" spikes. Surprised? yes. Disappointed? Heck no. Not going to hurt anything in this area, besides not having to dress a pregnant doe was a plus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,072 Posts
Please refrain from bashing or "inferred" bashing on red tags. The hunter had a legal harvest in an area that is in need of population control with a valid tag.

Congrats to the hunter on a sucessful kill!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
664 Posts
Matt, congrats on your kill. as long as you eat the meat, more power to ya brother!

IMO, I'd like to see the red tag program revised. as far I can see, the red tag program is run through the PA farm bureau and only requires two things:

1) farmer must give access to hunters for two years prior to entering the red tag program; and
2) must have a commercial farm

No refernce at all to deer population on a given farm or amount of crop damage. And please dont take this post as being against matt or protecting our PA farms. I just think it needs revised and I'd like to see the herd reduction done in the fall vs. spring.

Again, Matt, congrats on your kill. You'll be having lots of burgers over the summer!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23,860 Posts
CONGRATS on your kill Matt!
Nice time of year to experience the great out of doors for sure!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,493 Posts
To those who want to discuss the ethics of the red tag program there is a thread about it in the AR/HR & Deer Management Forum. This is not the thread to do so.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top