The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hunted the property I got schooled on a few weeks ago. Set up in a little different spot and used all different sounds. Ended up getting a pair to come to Male Howls on the FoxPro. They came in behind me where I could only see 100yds or so. It was so still and quiet I was afraid to try and set up on my shooting sticks. I think the coyote could see the call in the field and not sure it didn't get somewhat of a look at me before I got the light on it. It was upwind to what tiny bit of air was moving. I lip squeaked and had it's attention but it wasn't making any attempt to try and move down wind. It was in a bad position to do that and I had the suspicion it wasn't going to hang around long. I took a shot free handed, hit it and it did it's spinny thing, went down, got up, I shot 2 more times. May have hit it on the second shot but think I missed on the third. To me it was looking like it was goin to go down, it went over a crest not looking good. I walked up thinking it would be laying up there or struggling to get to the wood line approx 175yds away. Nothing. Only had my red lights and didn't look for blood. looked around for the coyote a few minutes then went back and gathered up my call and got my bright white light out. Spent some time looking and when I was by the woods I heard it moving through the brush. found the blood trail where it entered the woods and followed it in about 15yds. It had been standing/laying around in there, lots of blood. Had a nice blood trail back to where I hit it also. Hopefully I'll find it in the morning. Too thick to look much tonight. Hopefully it didn't go much further and expires.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Good luck in the morning. We started carrying a white light just for the reason of they are so hard to see along with blood with the red light..and if there is no snow...

Reactions: kdvarmint

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I went through to recover! Omg I am surprised I found it. My prettiest yet. Male. More soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
34.6lb male. It was facing and up hill from me. Hit it low and it came out the bottom of the chest then into and breaking a back leg. It was still alive when I found it but totally unaware of my presence. I think it would have eventually died there. Feel bad because it suffered all night but feel satisfied having recovered it and ending it. Stepped the shot off at about 130yds.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Good diligence on your part. There are some that would have given up. Very nice looking coyote!

You are doing quite well and I hope you keep after them and keep posting.

Joe

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good diligence on your part. There are some that would have given up. Very nice looking coyote!

You are doing quite well and I hope you keep after them and keep posting.

Joe
Thanks Joe. I see on FB you’ve been doin good too.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
kdvarmint - that sure is a pretty coyote and I congratulate you for not giving up the search.

Reactions: kdvarmint
1 - 16 of 16 Posts