The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has nothing to do with the ongoing fueds, but something that just buged me.
With the present waterfowl populations being very healthy and bag limits being liberal for a long time, hunters too many times judge a hunt by the harvest numbers. I understand that most times the quantity of the harvest will be directly related to the quality of the hunt but looks can be decieving in pictures that are posted. Did you know that there are 9.2 million Mallards but the limit is 4, 4.4 million Pintail but the limit is 2, 8.9 million Blue Wing Teal and you can only kill 6, 1.4 million Redheads and you can only kill 2...Put up kill pictures with limits of any of those species and people go GAGA over them. THERE ARE ONLY 900,000 GREATER SNOW GEESE and any picture of 50 dead geese people are raised to hero status for doing it. Yes I understand that the habitat can't support the big population of Snows..blah blah blah, I get it, but why are Snow Geese veiwed as vermin of the skies and they need ground pounded to oblivion? Rant over...and again, this has absolutely nothing to do with the current Snow Goose post.

Here is a picture of a few Blacks and Mallards, no story to go with it, looks like a great hunt to me, but what if I told you that was a group of 6 hunters...hmmm, maybe not so good. Or just 1 hunter...hmmm...outlaw craziness.

What about this March PA Snow Goose hunt...4 shooters with 23 Snows...friggin awesome hunt in my book right.

What about this crappy day...just 12 Snows, why bother when you can kill truckloads...maybe it was that dogs first retrieve and the owner will never forget that first Snow brought back by his dog, that he trained.

Another horrible day...can't believe they drove from North Carolins for that...except that 1 pitch of 4 Geese that they killed 3 out of and they were all banded...how cool would that be?

Now thats more like it, big pile of dead Snows, gets the blood pumpin you know.

Oh crap...same group but the very next day, aww darn it, no big pile this time, just get the rug pulled out from under them...whats that you say, after a crazy good first day they realized they didn't need all that Goose meat and decided to quit at 20 the next day...at 9am, different story then.

Its OK, no need to count, the camera guy was a shooter and yes there is 25 RP Geese...the world just stops on those great mornings right, but the poor dog was overworked in the deep snow and tore his ACL and cost me $1400...should'nt have been so greedy.

Ok, so this was a great hunt, but not because of the numbers, the one hunter has a heart condition and may never get out again, the cold was tough on him and we had to keep running him to the truck to warm up, hard seeing a grown man cry and yes it helped that we killed 70 Snows, I'll admit it.

Another pathetic attempt at a good Snow Goose hunt, except for the fact that there are 3 generations of hunters in that picture. Irreplacable time with family..

Why go to Delaware for Canadas...you can ONLY shoot 2 each, if I had a dollar for every time I heard that one. Its not how many you killed, but how you beat them that makes it a hunt.

You would have a hard time convincing me this wasnt a great trip...no death pile needed for this memory.

A picture is not worth a thousand words and you can't judge success by the pile.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Andy you hit that dead on my friend these days people foget its not about what you harvest it the memorys you make in the act very nice post

·
Registered
44 Posts
Birds are a bonus when it comes to family friends and fun.

·
20,126 Posts
Great post Andy. Im with ya on the snows. I have no clue why they are treated with such disrespect. We have some pretty nice days last year as well as this year so far but my favorite hunt last year was on a no wind day when every bird we saw bombed our rig but curled out at 35 yards without a shot being fired. It was 5 hours of continuous cyclone and we killed 14 birds haha. But to this day we all just say wow about it. It was an awesome experince. They're my favorite bird on earth and I love'em. Ask anyone that hunts with me now. When a juvie lands in the spread I try to talk everyone into letting it live lol. Never sells haha.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Well put Andy!!

I'll be honest; my SEASON totals can't equal some of the pics I see posted on here. Not an issue for me since I'm not a jealous hunter. I judge my success on the memories and circumstances of the hunts themselves. I truly feel sorry for those who have to break laws and/or screw their fellow hunters in order to kill some birds. There are plenty of guys who appreciate waterfowling for the unique experience that it is; they are the guys who don't have to brag.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problems with guys posting pics and sharing the hunts, but there's a difference between sharing, and just trying to prove how great you are. I think I'm safe in saying that most folks can tell the difference.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Very well put! Also i absolutely love the point about the huge duck populations and relatively small greater snow goose population. The truth is they may congregate in huge numbers, but their flyway is miniscule in comparison with most ducks, and even canadas. I personally think 25 is too high, but thats just me. Nice pictures as always

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Amen Andy, turning recreation into a competition is ruining all hunting. I hunted MD under the point system where we could kill 10 10 point ducks a day. 10 point birds were pintails, gadweall, bald pate, mallard drakes and teal. Non of us ever took more than half a limit and we easily could have taken more. It should be the enjoyment of the hunt, having the birds respond to your set up and calling that should matter, not numbers. Trout, snows are treated as vermin because half the hunters don't know the difference between greater snows and essors for the west. In addition, talking abut how the numbers have to be reduced gives rationalization to some people to be hogs. I have watched waterfowl hunting go to a few die hards in the 60 and early 70s when it was fun and not competition for birds and a place to hunt to what it is today which is pityful. I have never liked the hero pictures, numbers isn't the name of the game unless you think you have to prove yourself.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Any time you can shoot a snow goose over decoys it's a great hunt. I hunted after the AP opened back up and had just as much fun shooting my one bird as I now do shooting my 3. I know you guide for snows. If you are having one of those magical days, do you shut down the hunt after the clients have shot 12 or do you allow them to shoot until their limit is reached? I cringe every time I hear the term sky carp and hear people talk about how snows arent fit to eat. I think they eat way better than any canada or duck. I would also rather take a zero hunting snows than to shoot a limit of canadas. It's all about the thrill of the chase and sometimes you get rewarded.

Nothing wrong with sharing pics. I like looking at pics and wish more people would post em. It's nice to be able to look back on old hunts like you posted and relive them. They are all special no matter how many birds harvested.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
There is a big difference between the thrill of the chase and the thrill of the kill, unfortunately some can't tell the difference.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
John S said:
There is a big difference between the thrill of the chase and the thrill of the kill, unfortunately some can't tell the difference.

·
Registered
400 Posts
hey andy i spent a couple of days in that blind "duck haven"
harvested my first goose band in that blind with my dad(priceless)
and there was some pretty high PA representives in that blind also one year

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Andy you hit it right some of the days we hardly killed a bird were the best days nothing like spending time with good friends and seeing a pup make there first retrieve we still have a good time. The sun rises and sunsets are beautiful and all that nature lets us see is great!!!!

Jimmie

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kadd...to answer your question about shooting a limit, I have NO problem trying to shoot as many Snows as the hunters can use reasonably, if that is 10 or 100 we determine that as we hunt. I have had groups stop shooting at 15 because that was all they wanted to kill and we just hung out and watched geese and I have had groups kill 80 and not be satisfied. I have been able to grow my business to where I can now weed out the "greedy" hunters that just want to fill the back of the truck and replace them with groups that appreciate the hunt for what it is, come to the lodge and hang out, play cards, talk smack with your buddies and then get up and hunt the next day, kind of like "deer camp" with your Grandpa and your uncles. I am not a good enough Snow Goose hunter to keep filling the back of the truck with dead geese and rely on being able to fill your head with fun times and great memories.

I enjoy getting my Dad out when its warm.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Amen...with all the negativity around please dont lose sight of the great things we hunters do for and with each other....those should be celebrated till exhaustion.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I understand Andy. I have helped run quite a few snow goose parties and most people have unrealistic expectations. Me and my friends have fun on every hunt even if no shots are fired. People seem to think if you shoot a lot of birds you are greedy, all about the kill and not having fun. It's funny cause some of those same guys go to Canada so they can get em while the egg shell is still on their head.

Nice full bodies - what happened to you telling me you'd never hunt over a full body again?

·
Registered
320 Posts
in my opinion this is what the hunt is about I think we killed four that day and Jimmie sent me after a cripple with the back command lol no matter how many birds are on the ground at the end memorys are more important

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just a question to the guys claiming it is not about the numbers or the kill pile pics.....Do you guys take a gun with you, if so, do you load that gun, if yes to that, do you shoot when the birds come in? If answering yes to any of the following above questions, please do not tell me it isn't about the kill. Most of you have entirely too much time, money, and more importantly TIME invested to claim that it is not. Afterall, why do you take pics and post them if it is NOT about being succesful......

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Hostile said:
Just a question to the guys claiming it is not about the numbers or the kill pile pics.....Do you guys take a gun with you, if so, do you load that gun, if yes to that, do you shoot when the birds come in? If answering yes to any of the following above questions, please do not tell me it isn't about the kill. Most of you have entirely too much time, money, and more importantly TIME invested to claim that it is not. Afterall, why do you take pics and post them if it is NOT about being succesful......
Welcome to the site.
If you have to have it explained to you, you won't understand. Of course guns are loaded and shots are taken if presented, but whether or not birds are killed do NOT define the day as a failure or success. If it happens to be a day when lots of birds fall, then the pictures taken are to preserve the memories of an exceptional day, not to "post up", to brag or compete with others. Like stated before, I don't have a problem with hero shots, but they don't impress me either.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts