The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
Never owned a Subaru but my daughter has a Forester and my daughter in law had an Impreza and both are junk in my opinion. Their CVT transmissions are known for having issues and my daughter had to have her transmission replaced last fall and my daughter in law sold her Subaru after about a year due to constant problems. My daughter still has her Forester and I had to re-shim her A/C compressor clutch to get her A/C to work to other day. You hear lots of good things about Subaru but I need a hunting vehicle and have to tow a camper so I like my F-150 Lariat.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'll be hunting out of a Forester this season. It's my wife's old car. It has a hitch so I have a hitch hauler I've used for deer and I've also put deer in the back on a tarp. I've hunted out of my VW Jetta the last 5 years so this will be an upgrade. I stuffed my archery buck in the trunk of that car this year but it will be nice to have the extra room for my gear.

I guess it depends on your roads and access. Around here there are no places that are really open to the public where You can drive very far. You walk and walk and walk. Out in western PA where I bear hunt we get in some places you only want a truck.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm sure you could make it work. Heck - when I was like 25, I had a Ford Mustang ... I'd put the back seats down and I'd fit about 6 full body bigfoot decoys, a dozen silos, a back pack style avery layout blind, my shotgun, and a blind bag and go goose hunting. I was lucky in that I could just pull off the farmer's lane and it was perfectly level with the lane & we didn't get much if any snow that year I did it. I'm sure I was a sight, but I still managed to kill a couple geese

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Don't use tarps, get yourself a body bag or two off Amazon. Lay it out on the ground and put deer in it and zips shut. Handles for lifting and all fluids stay inside.

Reactions: simoncool

·
Registered
430 Posts
I used to drive an Impreza for a couple of years when I had a 60 mile commute. I would recommend the all-weather package. Hauled a few deer and a turkey or two in the trunk and the liner did well preventing blood staining. Subarus are great vehicles and I enjoyed mine for the most part but ultimately I had to trade it in for another truck. I missed not having a truck too much, but I do hope to get another subaru as a secondary high MPG vehicle one day. And they absolutely do better in snow than most any truck.

·
Registered
20,860 Posts
Years ago we had about 2 ft of snow just prior to the Mosquito creek coyotes hunt.I went to the local SGL range to shoot a rifle and the road going in wasn't plowed.I followed a set of tracks in and parked my wife's 99 Jimmy behind a Subaru outback.I walked down,shot a few shots and made it back to my vehicle before the guys in the Subaru were done.I was pointing down hill in 4WD and couldn't move.A few minutes later,the guys in the Subaru came up,drove around me in about 2 ft of snow and pulled me out.I felt like I just got my arse kicked by Richard Simmons having to be pulled out by a Subaru station wagon.

·
Super Moderator
4,878 Posts
Don't use tarps, get yourself a body bag or two off Amazon. Lay it out on the ground and put deer in it and zips shut. Handles for lifting and all fluids stay inside.
I have a military spec body bag. I used to use it when I hunted with my old Hyundai Accent hatch back. I figured out it was easier to use a Jet Sled. You can load up the sled and then slide it into the vehicle. I’ve got two of the heavy duty Magnum XLs and two of the regular sleds. On the bigger sleds, I bolted mine conveyor belt to the bottom surface. You can drag it with 500 lbs of firewood with the quad across pavement without tearing up the plastic bottom.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Best of both here. Wife drives a 2019 Forester that we bought after GM shafted us on our equinox. My daughter just upgraded from an outback to the ascent, it is a nice car!

I have a 2011 Silverado crew and I always laugh when I get to the end of the open gated road and see the outback but then I remember the 'pre-gate' days when the homeless guy lived in his Delta 88 with the back seat full of newspapers. He got most of the way in too...but then the abandoned auto's the kids were trashing on the SFL roads let to a blooming gate business.

After the equinox experience I figure a crew Taco would be just fine. Enough truck to pull the tin boat and a cab for all my gear and enough bed for a deer or two...

·
Registered
216 Posts
not sure on the model but my friend has one, and loves it plus great gas mileage

·
Registered
12,653 Posts
My wife has a 2017 Outback. It has been pretty great, but the engine power will sag to save the drive train. Even with the traction control off, the engine will bog in power so the drive train won`t break when not enough traction and such. Its very annoying. Id say for light/medium use you should be ok. My 2006 Hyundai Santa Fe AWD does better off road than the Outback. Its a shame, it has that stupid power drop or whatever it does.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I guess I am the only one that you couldn't give a Subaru too.

The one I owned was expensive to fix. Parts were always gaulded by rust. And the wheel fell off when the A arm rusted. The first set of A arms were replace under warranty by the original owner. And I know of another person who's front wheel fell off while driving. Lucking my wife was just backing up in a parking lot when it happened.

Not to mention all the head gasket issues from years past and the more recent oil consumption and CVT problems.

Suburu is all hype. They did spur on the current trend in AWD cars, and I believe even a Ford Escape is an exponentially better option. But if your a guy, and you hunt, you need a pickup truck.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Try shoving 2 deer, 2 guys with all your hunting gear in 59 CJ5, with a heater one step above a candle in a snow storm with vacuum wiper. Old Willys been retire from hunting for awhile,occasionally the wife and I take her for a spin. Ya can't beat today's trucks and SUV's. for hunting and comfort

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Try shoving 2 deer, 2 guys with all your hunting gear in 59 CJ5, with a heater one step above a candle in a snow storm with vacuum wiper. Old Willys been retire from hunting for awhile,occasionally the wife and I take her for a spin. Ya can't beat today's trucks and SUV's. for hunting and comfort
My '62 Willys was a powerhouse, downhill. But I only ever got stuck once. The Kelly 'all steel' cab rattled loudly and didn't help the heater at all. Passengers would turn on their wiper and after a few wipes I would ask them to turn it off so mine would wipe, couldn't have both on at the same time. Older jeeps had a manual passenger wiper.

Mine had a plow I never used and HD springs for a 'special' ride quality....

·
Registered
153 Posts
Been driving Outbacks and Foresters for 25+ years. Solid cars, never had a major issue. I use my Outback for hunting because that's what I have. It's not build for serious off-road use due to ground clearance and approach/departure angles but does well in 95% of the situations I encounter. Had an 01 Forester with manual transmission for 14 years and took that car some stupid places in the woods - always made it back home. If you need a daily driver/family car that will cover most hunting/camping needs, is well build and has decent fuel economy - get a Subaru. If I was looking for a dedicated vehicle for hunting I would get a Tacoma/Ranger/....

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Many car makers use the CVT transmissions, look up reviews on many cars SUV that use them and they seem real problematic. I remember a friend that had a new 1982 subaru, he beat that thing hard, good in ice and not too deep snow. That had a manual trans, good one.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I looked at the Outback when I was in the market for a new vehicle last year. Ended up going with a used Highlander sport. A little more cargo space and towing capacity, plus I’ve never had an issue with any of the other Toyota’s I’ve owned. Never had it off road off road so I can’t speak for that, but on the unmaintained SGL roads and lots she did just fine. I’m sporting about 22 mpg to boot.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
I've always have a 4-wheel drive Chevy pickup. My wife has had an Outback for six years. Not a bad vehicle for what it is and you could make anything work as a hunting vehicle if you had to, but the Subaru is no truck. It can't haul what I haul and it can't go where I go.....not even close. I personally wouldn't even consider it unless I had no other options....let's be honest.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
My grandfather drove 2 WD trucks most of his life in the fields and woods....in places many would not go in 4 WD. Trick is to never let up on the gas. If things get bad , and you ease up on the throttle, you're done. And of course he got stuck more than once....but not as often as you'd think.

I'd never want to have to operate without a 4 WD, but many old timers did.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts