The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who uses a Subaru, specifically an Outback, for their hunting vehicle? I've been looking at these and the reviews, info and specs seem to point to them being a great vehicle. But, I have always had a truck and I worry the Outback may not fit the bill. Worst case, I could utilize a hitch-haul to carry deer.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Never used one for hunting but I’ve taken many an outback off road and had no issues. As long as you realize it’s not a 4x4 truck it’ll suit well in 95% of cases (ie any areas where you won’t have super deep, rutted mud holes that require 4x4 with ground clearance).

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I like the convenience of a truck bed that you can just hose out especially after late season deer drives.
I have put a few deer in the back of a hatchback type SUV with plastic and tarps and it works, just a little more clean up and planning involved.
If you are primarily small game / waterfowl hunting then it will be just fine.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I currently drive an Avalanche, which I really do love. It has enough bed for my needs and the room/ride of a suburban. I was contemplating a newer Avalanche or Yukon/Tahoe, then started down the "rabbit hole" and ended up looking at the Outbacks. More than likely it's going to be a newer Avalanche or Escalade EXT because the best of both worlds really is great.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Outback but I looked at the Crosstrek as a replacement for my beloved '97 Cherokee that died of frame rust. The Crosstrek has impressive ground clearance, 9",and all Subarus have a reputation for reliability. Not sure of the Outback ground clearance. Ground clearance can be more important than 4wd in some cases. If theOutback's clearance is 8-9" and it has AWD /4wd, I think you'd be good to go because like Eightpoint, I was able to put deer in the back of my Cherokee Sport with minimal fuss and I wouldn't be surprised if the Subaru has more room with the rear seat folded that my Jeep did. Add a roof rack for more cargo storage and I think you'd have a capable hunting rig. I kind of regret not buying the Subaru because I car top a canoe and it would easier loading it on the Crosstrek than the Jeep Liberty I bought because of the height of the vehicle.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not familiar with the Outback but I looked at the Crosstrek as a replacement for my beloved '97 Cherokee that died of frame rust. The Crosstrek has impressive ground clearance, 9",and all Subarus have a reputation for reliability. Not sure of the Outback ground clearance. Ground clearance can be more important than 4wd in some cases. If theOutback's clearance is 8-9" and it has AWD /4wd, I think you'd be good to go because like Eightpoint, I was able to put deer in the back of my Cherokee Sport with minimal fuss and I wouldn't be surprised if the Subaru has more room with the rear seat folded that my Jeep did. Add a roof rack for more cargo storage and I think you'd have a capable hunting rig. I kind of regret not buying the Subaru because I car top a canoe and it would easier loading it on the Crosstrek than the Jeep Liberty I bought because of the height of the vehicle.
The Subaru Outback is something between 8-9" and certainly the reliability is there for sure. The AWD system and the MPG is really what peaked my interest.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Have you looked into the Subaru Baja? Best of both worlds...good ground clearance on an awd platform with an open bed. Reliable with the 2.5l flat 4.
The biggest thing with Subaru’s you have to watch for are rust above the rear wheel wells, oil leaks (inherent to the flat 4 design), and timing belt/head gasket issues (on the Dohc 2.5l models).

cant speak to the 6cyl models outside of the 3.3l in the svx (**** good motor tbh). All of mine have been the EJ25D. If you can get one with a sohc 2.2l jump on it. That was by far their most reliable engine after the 1.8l that came in the DL/GL/GL10 of the 80s/90s era

edit to add: while I loved having a Subaru wagon and the awd, I ditched them for good when I went to Volvo wagons. My gawd the shameful, fun, abusive things I Did to my 04 xc70, the forest roads I put it on in PA, NY, and Massachusetts. She’s still running around Lebanon with 300k on her. Can’t say any of the Subaru’s I’ve had would put up with that

·
Registered
790 Posts
If this is going to be a dedicated hunting vehicle I'd be looking at a truck. I've owned both and hunted out of both for 50+ years and believe me a 4x4 truck is handier and easier to use for hunting and getting off road. There has been a couple of times I've gotten in this one old logging road we hunted when it had about 8" or 10" of snow on top of a soft muddy road and I know I'd of never made it through with my wife's SUV. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
I watched some vids of Subaru wheel mods for off road....Very interesting...

...in college I had a '82 Toyota Celica...sometimes with no exhaust pipe/muffler continuity....the biggest deer that took a ride was a 196# field dressed swamp buck...lol

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Neighbor has a Baja....they're ok if you're a midget. I'm 6'3", and they are very tiny inside!!!:cautious:

But in the snow, Subaru's are probably better than trucks, as long as a lot of ground clearance is not needed. That same neighbor has run Subaru wagons for over 40 years, and they just go....and they can turn around in much tighter spots. He has had his waaayyyy back in the woods.

My daughter just got a new Subaru Ascent, in February. hasn't had it the snow much yet, but I'm certain it will go!!! I wonder what the chances are she'd let me take it to put out the watchers??? The guys might like that better than the benches in the bed of my truck:LOL: (this is severe sarcasm, BTW, she'd never allow that!).

Subaru are well built vehicles.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I've hunted several places that the outfitters would only use Japanese made vehicles. The first picture is the front end of a Suzuki that a Canadian guide drove down the two track 70 mph. I was certain the thing would literraly shake apart. The second picture was taken in Africa. African outfitters swear by Toyota's. They use the same models that ISIS used. They were built like tanks. I don't think you'd have any trouble with a Subaru.

·
Registered
25,472 Posts
Subarus are pretty bullet proof, but they aren't 4x4 pick ups. Buddy of mine is on his second Outback, loves it. But he also has an old Dodge diesel 4x4 when he needs it. Few years ago coupla guys at our gun club ditched their full sized 4x4 pick ups for Outbacks.

They're all back in pick ups again, so I still have some Rainbow decals left over.:)

One of my camp neighbors usually drives his Subaru back and forth to work, instead of his GMC Sierra pick up. Two winters ago thought he could blast thru a snow drift on a dirt road near camp. That little critter got part way thru, then was done. Tires were about a foot above the road, car suspended on the drift.

My 2014 Silverado 4x4 gets an honest 20+ MPG highway and it's pretty well loaded with tools, jacks, log chains, etc. Think I'll keep it? Last weekend's trip to camp and back: 485 miles, part highway, lots of local driving. 19.3 MPG combined driving. Turned over 73,000 miles Saturday. Best round trip fuel mileage I ever got with it, was when it was fairly new and I hadn't piled the bed full of stuff yet. 24.1 MPG, still on the info center display. Not bad for a 355 HP 4x4?

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
I've hunted several places that the outfitters would only use Japanese made vehicles. The first picture is the front end of a Suzuki that a Canadian guide drove down the two track 70 mph. I was certain the thing would literraly shake apart. The second picture was taken in Africa. African outfitters swear by Toyota's. They use the same models that ISIS used. They were built like tanks. I don't think you'd have any trouble with a Subaru.
In the 70's Lada (Russian made) 4x4s were popular in Canada....do you see any Ladas around these days???

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
The wife's vehicle is a Subaru Forester, she loves its. Great vehicle for running around the suburbs in all kinds of weather when needed.
My go where I want jalopy is a 2006 Tundra, has enough dents and scratches on it now if where I want to be is down an old brushy logging road it takes me there. Still a reliable truck, even though the gas gage sometimes does sometimes doesn't work, no problem trip ometer still works, low tire pressure warning light is on constantly, black tape solved that problem, and the ABS light sometimes comes on, but brakes still work. Been more than one time when I've yank hunters out of deep snow or mud holes that though their all wheel drive vehicle could go where a truck can, they can't.

Reactions: Waynzee

·
Super Moderator
4,878 Posts
I have a 2017 Subaru Forester. I love it for hunting and trapping. I got another set of wheels for it with aggressive studded tires. I can run the state forest roads all winter, even after they ice over. Put a receiver on the back and welded up a heavy duty rack for the back. I have a Jet Sled that fits into the back ( with the back seats down) that I can haul traps, coyotes, beaver etc without getting blood everywhere. It averages 30 mpg, which is great, because I make the Butler to Snow Shoe trip ( 122 miles) every week.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I have a 2017 Subaru Forester. I love it for hunting and trapping. I got another set of wheels for it with aggressive studded tires. I can run the state forest roads all winter, even after they ice over. Put a receiver on the back and welded up a heavy duty rack for the back. I have a Jet Sled that fits into the back ( with the back seats down) that I can haul traps, coyotes, beaver etc without getting blood everywhere. It averages 30 mpg, which is great, because I make the Butler to Snow Shoe trip ( 122 miles) every week.

Give me a call when you need a yank, I’ll come get you,🤣

1 - 20 of 41 Posts