The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I'm interested in doing more winter camping a fair way into the woods using a tent as a shelter. Does right now I am using a simple dome tent. Does anyone know of a tent that can accomodate a wood stove but is light enough for a solo camper to pack in?

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
You are worried about a light tent , but are carrying a woodstove back in the mountains ??

·
Super Moderator
23,760 Posts
I don't have a recommendation but a sled or cart makes it easy to haul heavy loads.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
All the tents I found that accommodate a wood stove are packed in by horse or machine . A packable light tent would be heated by propane or fuel stove . But that would be a lot of fuel . Maybe a Tipi-tent ?

http://tipitent.com/

·
Super Moderator
23,760 Posts
Kifaru makes lighter weight tents and tipi style stuff not cheap but either is any quality gear. I don't have any first hand expierence just know it gets good reviews.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Kifaru
http://store.kifaru.net/shelters-c5.aspx

But from personal experience in very high arctic late winter camping, frozen icepack Beaufort Sea Arctic ocean. Keeping a little unleaded fuel cooking stove at simmer until you go to sleep will literally keep the tent warm in -40 again from actual experience. In a small tent with a thermometer at the peak of tent will be 70's floor around freezing. They are extremely efficient, also faster, safer, and cleaner than a wood fire. Throw a tarp over the tent and then snow partway up the tent. Amazing how warm it will get inside. With wood or gas be careful with carbon monoxide.

Not real cold here but a couple hundred miles north of Arctic Circle north side of Brooks Range. Morning usually in the teens. Stove used in tent about 1:25 into video.
https://picasaweb.google.com/107753925791520711869/MiscOutdoorVideos#5825241183332072674

On the Beaufort Sea for a week, night temps about -40 day highs about -25. You can see piled up snow coming in front door. Heater is the single burner on the left.

Camp from outside:

Literally heading out the door right now for 2 nights. Wanted to earlier in the week but the left front tire on my truck went through the ice crossing a creek and it was game over.

·
Registered
12,208 Posts
There are some simple one pole and or pole less canvas tents made Panther Primitives and Rk lodges and others. My 8 x 8 baker style takes poles to set up, but weighs only about 10 lbs without stakes etc. Small "A" frame tents can weigh less. A wood stove can mean stove pipe etc. A small alcohol or other stove can be less weight and more efficient.

An acquaintance used a small alcohol stove to heat his tent. It was basically a small dry gas can with a small wick sticking through a hole in the cap. He carried a spare cap to seal it. Alcohol burns very hot and nearly flameless. I thought it quite dangerous, but the heat that thing put out necessitated opening the flaps to cool off. He winter camped in an 8 x 8 wall tent.
Just a candle lamp can raise a wall tent internal temp by ten degrees.

There are several Youtube videos on snow caves and heating them. Depending on the snow cover, a snow cave is better than a tent. There is one such video that shows a small wood fire in a snow cave and how to build a firespot/chimney off to the side.

My winter rig requires a truck to haul it, complete with a 90 pound cast iron Jotul airtight wood stove.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a candle lantern and a compact oil lantern (like a Dietz but smaller and made in Germany). I wonder if I could burn rubbing alcohol and get some heat without suffocating myself? I could maybe hand it from the ceiling of the dome tent.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Get the Canned Heat for under pans at buffet tables. Couple bucks a piece and have screw on lids when not used .

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Just got back in a little bit ago, was going to spend the day tracking bobcat and stay in the tent again tonight but couldn't find a single track today and my water is frozen so came out. Yesterday going in it was blowing and drifting, at dark it got dead calm and clear, a bazillion stars, then later an almost full moon came up. Took a late night walk and definitely no light needed. Guess it was about -10.

This spring never freezes and it has frogs year round. I figured it was about -10 because at that point you just have this sliver of water. At 0 there is about 3 feet of open water. There are more frogs up under the ledge where the water comes out.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Springer Rage said:
Tundra, that looks awesome. Where is it and what were you hunting?
The video with my daughter was just backpacking but the snowy camp pics were from a muskox hunt, also took a few caribou for camp and town meat, and some ptarmigan for camp. Western part of Beaufort Sea leaving from Kugluktuk Nunavut, ran about 50 miles on the sea and then turned inland.

2 caribou on here, front and back, a third was cut up.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
It's a Eureka Alpenlite, only thing staked is the front vestibule so nothing is pulled tight.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Living just below and working in Binghamton NY for over 30 years I have/had a bunch of Eureka tents. Binghamton is their headquarters and they sell what they call factory seconds for drastically reduced prices. A lot of times they list something as an A class second but it is just excess stock. I've never been able to find any flaw in their tents. End of March should be their BIG annual tent sale. People come from all over the eastern US and Canada. Scout leaders come from all over walking out with 10-20 tents and the Canadians are out in the parking lot throwing their tents around on the ground so they get dirty and look used for when they go back across the border, a new tent bought in the US would bring duties.

http://www.eurekacampingctr.com/eureka/

But by far my favorite, go to, backpacking/hunting tent is a Big Agnes SL2. Just so well engineered, single pole design, with attached footprint, fly, stakes, guy lines, packed in storage bags it weighs a measured 4lb 3oz. But it is not a snow tent. The Alpenlite XT with everything mentioned is actual measured 8lb 6oz.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I wouldn't recommend it to a newbie.

Newbies think too much of comfort. Not enough of plain ole survivial.
Comfort is good if you have it. But survival can come down to survival in the smallest place possible. Smaller than a tent.

My opinions are hard, I admit. But then I survived freezing cold in an unheated tent. Even without a tent. It came down to plain old survival.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts