The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fired the Traditions Muzzleloader today and the flint wasn't throwing much spark.

Installing a new flint that is cut at a 45 degree angle.
Here is my question do I install it with the angle end up or down or doesn't it matter.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Bevil up or bevil down; an ancient question. First of all get rid of them German flints and use English. Then find out which way sparks best and have fun.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
There is never a stupid question. Traditions if I am right take what they call a blue flint(blueish color). Most of them I seen are put in with the angle shooting up from the bottom.( point up top) My boys Traditions was installed that way from the factory. Seem to hit the frizzen harder for more spark. Hope this helps. good luck.. Stuffer

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Flat side of flint on top, angle on bottom. Make sure your frizzen and flint are oil free. Swab the frizzen and flint with rubbing alcohol.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Bevel up or bevel down, try and see. I was always told that the flint should contact the frizzen about 2/3 way up. I think the determination is due to some extent by the shape of the watchamacallit, yeah I know what it is called but would be censored, that holds the flint, and the frizzen itself.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Like was said try both ways...clean the flint and frizzen face with a rubbing alcohol patch before testing to.ensure they are clean..

My TC likes bevel down with black english and bevel up with German agates...

Not sure why you said get rid of the German flints jimsdad...if you have any good German flints I will take them!! Last longer and spark better for me...but last one i bought was over 5$ i think....if you are talking cheap run of the mill agates i'd agree..i never had luck with them...after trying a good German agate though my thoughts on man cut flints changed!

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
My rocklocks, and the ones my buddy have, eat them agates alive. I have had them where I could only get 10 +/- strikes from an edge and then the same from the other end before they just rounded down and did not spark. With english flints we both get fare more use. I haven't used the german agates for well over 10 years but if I had any of them left I would gladly send them to you. Clearly, you have better luck with them than I did.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Wow! Thats odd...i know before i sent my TC lock back it wouldnt spark worth a dang with the german agate...afterwards with the updated hammer and bevel up it rains sparks...actually only put it in to wear in the frizzen a bit...

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Ah, the variables in BP shooting are many and complex. When my bud and I shoot together it's funny how the differences in the guns cause us to have different processes. We both shoot .54, although his is a custom build and mine is an off the shelf Pedersoli, and we use GOEX and are firm beleivers in Crisco as a patch lube, he has to run a brush down the bore at about the 12 shot mark. Humidity does play a factor and in the summer humidity I need to brush more often. But typically I don't need to brush the bore until about 20 rounds have been fired. He contends this is because the rifling in his gun is shallower than that in mine. Neither of us have any interest in measuring that but it could be a factor. These differences are part of why I find ML shooting so enjoyable. Not a One Size Fits All shooting venue for sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts