The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always had great luck with peppers. Last year, the plants grew so big that the dead ones were still there and were solid enough to use for kindling. But this year, the plants just aren't growing. Most of them seem ok, a few are yellowing, but mostly they just aren't growing. They're blooming, some even have peppers growing on them, but the plants are only 6-10" tall. The plants are in the same dirt I used last year, and I used composted chicken manure and kitchen scraps, same as always. Anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
mine are doing better now with the heat. Peppers need heat and humidity. You should pull off ALL blossoms now, so that all the plant energy goes into the plant, not the fruit. You'll end up with a few less fruit for the year, but you'll make up with it with larger, stronger plants and larger fruits at the end of the season.

You should also put about a Tablespoon of epsom salts around the base of the plant every 2 weeks, especially at bloom. Supposedly the magnesium in the salts helps the plant take up nutrients.

Hang in there. You just need hotter weather.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I have mine (basil and peppers- and everything else )on auto water- along with the rain and mine are growing like wildfire...especially the tomatoes- I have one that is 5' in diameter...
My topsy turvys suck tho- I dont think we will use them next year...
I do have a kung poa and a habenaro that are stunted for some reason...
My hungarian peppers have been producing for weeks.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
FrankDegamma said:
Me too. Dads too. Too much rain.
It is that and also little sunlight...

WATCH when we start getting a few days with sunny and warm days...

You will be able to notice the green start to come back in them and they will look much healthier!

All mine that I have planted in black plastic greened up by friday of last week with just wednesday, thursday and friday of those sunny warm days....the ones I did not plant in black plastic are slowly greening up!

My Buddy has a nice sized green house....all those days of rain and little sun in april and may, the peppers were growing but they were Yellow real bad....he watered only when the dirt got dry....maybe every 2-3 days...but those peppers had yellow leaves bad, all due to lack of sun light!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Wierd...
I have bells on 3 of my plants that are really heavy and look like they should change color but haven't.but the plants are small...3-4 per plant and little ones starting on the top...

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
my jalapenos are looking awesome, but we haven't gotten hardly any rain, it always seems to go right around us.we are getting some rain past few days and the garden is likeing it

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Horrible. The leaves are falling off, a few have died. Also my tomato plants have lost leaves, turned yellow and I had to replant a bunch yesterday...the garden looks like poop!!!!!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Damageinc said:
Wierd...
I have bells on 3 of my plants that are really heavy and look like they should change color but haven't.but the plants are small...3-4 per plant and little ones starting on the top...
Me Personally, I'd snip those peppers off the plant so the plant gets bigger and healthier and produces much more peppers!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I thought about that but they are so large and heavy...I was afraid I wouldnt get any more- I should take pictures of them- they look so tasty!
Woodywoodduck said:
Damageinc said:
Wierd...
Me Personally, I'd snip those peppers off the plant so the plant gets bigger and healthier and produces much more peppers!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts