The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I ran across a very nice precarved Lehigh style stock in a local gunshop. Picked it up at a real good price so now have another project. Lehigh is not my preferred style but could not pass it up for the price. Ramrod hole is drilled for a small rod for basically a 32 or 36 cal. I may drill it out for a larger rod (I have the drill bit) and make it in 45. Figure it will be easier to sell in 45. Just a thought.Two other builds in the works that I want done 1st so have time to decide on that.

It is nice wood if dirty from sitting around for a while, so whatever caliber, I just plan on making it a basic hunter/shooter. No patchbox or inlays. I also need to figure out what lock it is inletted for. Looks like a Pecatonica stock and their kit lists a Durrs Egg, but looks closer to a large Siler. Have to take it to Dixons or Ft Chambers as see what they think and maybe try a fit

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
If it is just to build, with a possibility to sell, I would suggest a 32 or 36.

They are few and far between on the muzzy sites, and go fast when they do pop up.

Make it a nice treerat scalper, and it would probably go quick on here!:wink2:

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rusty, you are correct about that. 32 and 36's in old TC and CVA's do get scarfed up quick for the prices they are commanding. Dunno about longrifles. Like i said, i have time to decide. May even see what interest there is for a lehigh in a tree rat vs bambi thumper. Heck, may even sell the wood before i get around to building

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steel, i will see about pics this wknd. I just quickly added a piece of wood to stabilize the forend so it did not accidentally break (VERY thin) and put it away. Wife's turn on the work benches so did not bother with pics at the time

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steel, i will see about pics this wknd. I just quickly added a piece of wood to stabilize the forend so it did not accidentally break (VERY thin) and put it away. Wife's turn on the work benches so did not bother with pics at the time

Tried to show the figure in the wood

Attachments

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I normally build all my 45 caliber rifles with a 5/16" ramrod ...
Nice find .... good luck with your build !!
Allen, in looking around at different suppliers sites, I have noticed what you said. I appreciate your input and confirming what I have been noticing. Think that is the way to go if I do it in 45 cal. I just need to find out what lock it has been inletted for. Plan on taking it to a couple shops to have them look at it and look at some locks. Also having a guy look at it at a shoot on Sunday. Will also probably take it to the gunmakers fair and pick up some parts for it then. If I do, I'll bring it by you to look at and maybe have you point me in the right direction.

Thanks again

1 - 17 of 17 Posts