The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this batch is probably toast...
I had two packages of ground from last years mule deer, and decided to try out the smoker...
long story short, the venison was already ground.. added spices and cure... added high temp cheese... When trying to stuff the casing, the mixture is smearing and smashing as it goes through the auger and has a tannish color entering the casing. There is no cutting plate, just the action of the auger is mashing this stuff as it forces it through the small tube. Its also taking a lot of pressure to force it through..Its like a hot dog mix now. I'm headed out tonight to get a true "stuffer" press to try and save this batch...

Any way to use an electric grinder without this happening?

Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Blowchowski said:
Well, this batch is probably toast...
I had two packages of ground from last years mule deer, and decided to try out the smoker...
long story short, the venison was already ground.. added spices and cure... added high temp cheese... When trying to stuff the casing, the mixture is smearing and smashing as it goes through the auger and has a tannish color entering the casing. There is no cutting plate, just the action of the auger is mashing this stuff as it forces it through the small tube. Its also taking a lot of pressure to force it through..Its like a hot dog mix now. I'm headed out tonight to get a true "stuffer" press to try and save this batch...

Any way to use an electric grinder without this happening?
Thanks in advance....
Just do what you said above
I'm headed out tonight to get a true "stuffer" press to try and save this batch

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/pr...hID=4006&r=view

They work far better then the grinder stuffers...they take less time and then do not grind the meat into a paste!!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Ski, how did the stuff you stuffed with the grinder turn out? I have used both a stuffer and a grinder to stuff, and the grinder will turn it into a paste, but to me, it didn't affect the final product.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A stuffer will make a big difference. The grinder will not produce enough pressure to stuff a stiff snack stick mixture using a horn under 13mm. The problem is compounded by using meat that was frozen and already ground at 1/8". Bottom line, grinders are designed to grind meat. The stuffing attachment is an after thought that will provide some sucess with a horn that is 19mm or larger.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bucket, it turned out great! I took it to a local deer processor who stuffed it for me. I took it home and smoked it myself, and for the first attempt, I'm really pleased with the result. I'll have to tweek a few things along the way, but I'll do it again for sure..
Stuffer is on the "to get" list!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Guys and girls if you are doing snack sticks do yourself a favor and get a stuffer.
I've been following these post and after a lot of years finally purchased a gander mt. 15lb one on sale last week.
Today I did 20 lb in less than a half hour, mixing and stuffing.
The only amount left on the bottom that does'nt make it through is about a hamburg size. Other threads have said the cabelas stuffer leaves about 2- 2.5 lb on the bottom.

All I can say is I have tortured myself over the past many years using a grinder for this task.

Thanks for the info on this and previous threads

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
GMO said:
Guys and girls if you are doing snack sticks do yourself a favor and get a stuffer.
I've been following these post and after a lot of years finally purchased a gander mt. 15lb one on sale last week.
Today I did 20 lb in less than a half hour, mixing and stuffing.
The only amount left on the bottom that does'nt make it through is about a hamburg size. Other threads have said the cabelas stuffer leaves about 2- 2.5 lb on the bottom.

All I can say is I have tortured myself over the past many years using a grinder for this task.

Thanks for the info on this and previous threads
when you get to the bottom and are done that you have no meat left over to put in the stuffer, collect that little bit that is left in the bottom, take the stuffing tube off the stuffer, keep the casing on the stuffing tube and push that remaining meat into the tube and into the casing....when you get to the point where you have no more to shove in the tube, put the end of the tube up to your mouth and Blow as hard as you can into the tube.. all meat is now into your casing...

BUT, if your doing it for a paying customer.. better not blow into the tube, might want to use a wooden spoon handle and shove it into the tube to shove that remaining meat into the casing...
All meat is now in the casings and not left over to be done what ever with!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts