The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a used rifle, rem 7600, that came with see thru scope mounts. Went to take the mounts off to put my own mounts on, and theyre froze solid. Snapped one hex wrench trying to get them out. Screws are pretty much stripped out now. Not sure if the guy used permanent loktite or what. Not a spot of rust on the gun so I doubt theyre rusted in. Anyways.... looks like the only way to get the mounts off will be for a gunsmith to drill them off. Anyone know what this costs? Any recomendations for a gunsmith in the butler area?

·
Registered
190 Posts
the auto parts store has backward bits that will bite into the head of the screw tighter as you try to back them out. i'd try that for a few bucks before I went to the smith.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
drill the heads off the screws and you should be able to knock the base off with a rubber mallet. Then you can grip the remaining screw with a small pair of vice grips. Just go slow and you will be fine. Usually once the base is off the screws can be turned with your finger.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Well being a mechanic me personally I would heat the mounts up with a small butane torch just keep it moving. Aluminum see through rings will expand with very little heat.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried heading the one with a soldering iron. Didnt do much. I dont believe the screws are aluminum. Rings are but not screws.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
RobOz said:
drill the heads off the screws and you should be able to knock the base off with a rubber mallet. Then you can grip the remaining screw with a small pair of vice grips. Just go slow and you will be fine. Usually once the base is off the screws can be turned with your finger.
do this then use a soldering iron to heat the screws and they should come right out.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If so, sounds like dissimilar metal corrosion.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
danceswithbucks said:
Well being a mechanic me personally I would heat the mounts up with a small butane torch just keep it moving.
That's what I use. A butane torch will never produce enough heat to anneal an action so you can have at it. Put the tip of the flame right on the screw head.

After you get it good and hot drive a torx bit in the screw head to turn the screw out.

Bill

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got it off. Thanks guys! I ended up drilling the heads off and hitting the mounts. Then, 3 or the 4 screws came out with vice grips. Ended up having to drill the last one thru and pull it with an easy out. Not really too hard, but makes ya nervous doing it on a nice rifle. Turns out the screws were covered in red loktite! Geez! Oh well, its done!

·
Super Moderator
4,596 Posts
Try drilling a hole in the stub of a broken off shotgun bead sometime.I did it with a .028 dril bit and a dremel tool.Used a modified eyeglass screwdriver to remove it and lots of masking tape when prepping for drilling.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Glad you got them loose. If it happens again, all you need to do is chuck the gun up securely in a drill press. Use good padding underneath to protect your finish. Put your bit in the press and turn the turret by hand, don't turn the machine on. The power of the press and the downward force removes even the rusted and stripped screws instantly. Your hands just don't have enough force to do the job when they are stuck. I watched numerous gunsmiths to it for years, then just started using the method myself.

·
Registered
25,517 Posts
Never used a drop of any variation of Lok Tite on any scope mounting operations, never will.

Have also never had any bases or rings come loose, either. Not even on varmint rifles that've fired thousand or rounds over the years.

First scope I ever mounted was on a M788 in 22-250, back in 1978. Weaver bases, "generic" aluminum rings and a Bushnell 4x12x40. Everything stayed put until around 20 years later, when I mounted a different scope on the same rings and no issues all these years later.

Back in those days almost all rings used slotted screws and few of us owned "real" gunsmith screwdriver sets, so boogered screw slots were fairly common. Some slightly better hollow-ground screw drivers helped a bit. Although I've had a 90 piece Wheeler set now for about the past 15 years.

Prefer the torx screws that seem more prevalent these days on scope rings.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Thank you for making the world a better place by removing the see thru mounts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts