The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine was sighting in his new Deerstalker today, and on his last loading, he broke off the jag at the breechplug and can't get it out. The breechplug is not removable, and I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this problem and how it was resolved?

·
Registered
8 Posts
One possibility is to find a grease fitting that fits the treads you touchhole bushing screws into, then pump grease in with a grease gun. The hydraulic pressure should free the jag. Then have fun cleaning the grease out. I think lyman flint locks use a 6mm .75 thread, might be tough to find a grease fitting that size

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
1)Remove the touch hole liner then air compressor with rubber tip in the touch hole.CAUTION where you have it pointed!
2)Remove touch hole liner and put a LITTLE FFFFg in.Replace liner and fire.Make sure that the jag is seated completely down as you would a load.
3)Remove touch hole liner and insert a grease zert.Pump grease till it comes out.Messy but works.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
I would first try shooting it out with a trickle of 4Fg. Easiest to try, and less messy.

1. take off vent liner, use your primer to put about 10 gr. of 4Fg. in. If jag is seated, use your pick or small enough screwdriver to push/pry it up enuff for the powder.
2. Replace liner
3. Seat the jag lightly on the powder. If it is a portion up the barrel, and won't budge, then move on to one of the other options listed in above posts.
3. Fill a cardboard box with rags or foam.
4. Shoot into the short side of the box, from a fairly close distance, but not against. Ensure a clear shooting lane behind the box. Could pass thru, depending on foam or rags, flop out or ricochet.

It will clear it, PLUS save your jag. Much better than losing it in the brush or buried in a target backing. And I will not say which one I know firsthand.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Retired_Rusty said:
I would first try shooting it out with a trickle of 4Fg. Easiest to try, and less messy.

1. take off vent liner, use your primer to put about 10 gr. of 4Fg. in. If jag is seated, use your pick or small enough screwdriver to push/pry it up enuff for the powder.
2. Replace liner
3. Seat the jag lightly on the powder. If it is a portion up the barrel, and won't budge, then move on to one of the other options listed in above posts.
3. Fill a cardboard box with rags or foam.
4. Shoot into the short side of the box, from a fairly close distance, but not against. Ensure a clear shooting lane behind the box. Could pass thru, depending on foam or rags, flop out or ricochet.

It will clear it, PLUS save your jag. Much better than losing it in the brush or buried in a target backing. And I will not say which one I know firsthand.
We tried this one evening in a friends basement and we learned a couple things:
1. Don't use much powder, it only takes a little.
2. Take the rifle outside to do this, even if it's cold out.
3. If you ignore step 2, make sure the rifle isn't pointing at the furnace.
4. Even though hunting and shooting are done for the day, alcohol does NOT help the situation.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Happy to report that a few grains of 4F in the touch hole worked out well. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Not saying this is what happened, but don't used square patches on a mz jag...the corners fold over and jam things up. BTDT

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Tiadauton said:
Happy to report that a few grains of 4F in the touch hole worked out well. Thanks for all of the suggestions.
OUTSTANDING, glad it worked out!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Did The rod break or did the end just pull off?First thing I do any rod is make sure the end is pinned to the rod.When I started shooting frontloaders in the the 70s it was pretty common for the jag to not be pinned and come off in the barrel.We always just used a little 4f and shot them out
I'am sure the grease gun would work but the cleanup would suck

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Alpinbogen said:
A CO2 ball discharger would be perfect for this.
I remember a few years back, having a ramrod stuck while hunting. I used a CO2 discharger and lost the ram rod in a tree top. What goes up doesn't always come down. Some days just aren't your day.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Careful CM, next thread on here will be complaining about muzzlebows during late archery season! Or would it be a crossloader?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts