The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
20,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a cheap traditions cap lock to use while driving doe.I cleaned it out real good,popped a few caps and loaded 100gr of 777 pellets behind a .240gr xtp.I'm not a fan of the pellets but that's all I could find and assumed they'd be fine with a cap lock.Anyway,the caps go off but nothing happens.I took the nipple off and cleaned everything out but it still won't go bang.I'm assuming the problem is with the pellets but in any event,I have a sabot stuck in the barrel.This gun has no removable breech plug so it has to come back out the way it went in.Any suggestions?

·
Banned
2,324 Posts
They make a ball remover for just that purpose....It`s like a rod cleaner, but has a screw tip on the end...Good Luck...

Reactions: Dogface

·
Registered
20,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They make a ball remover for just that purpose....It`s like a rod cleaner, but has a screw tip on the end...Good Luck...
I have one but it's a hollow point bullet and I don't think I'd be able to get enough threads in it.Besides,it's pretty tight

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
I have used co2 dischargers with good success. Most come with nipple adaptors to fit cap locks plus flinters. Be sure to point in a safe direction as load will come out with considerable speed.

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
I have one but it's a hollow point bullet and I don't think I'd be able to get enough threads in it.Besides,it's pretty tight

I've pulled jacketed hollow points with a bullet puller and never had a problem. In any case, once you do get it out forget about using pellets with #11 caps, they just don't reliably ignite pellets. Use loose powder or substitute of your choice.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
That CO2 disharger is the way to go, jusy make sure the rifle is pointed down range at a backstop.

·
Banned
2,324 Posts
dce, let us know how and if you got it out....Last resort, take it to a Gunsmith...

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Compressed air, blow gun attachment with rubber end. Remove nipple, Point safety down range. I've donethis many time, especially at the end of late season if for some reason gun was still loaded.

·
Registered
20,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I may try that.I don't have a co2 discharger but I have a compressor.What's a blow gun attachment.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
The RMC Co2 Discharger and a case of replacement cylinders is the best muzzleloading accessory i have purchased! Stops me from having to fire a muzzleloader to safely discharge it at the end of an unsuccesful hunt thus saving me a heavy cleaning job! As others said an air compressor will work fine too. A bow gun attachment has a trigger type mechanism that only released air when depressed and generally has a small nozzle for increased pressure.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
I may try that.I don't have a co2 discharger but I have a compressor.What's a blow gun attachment.
T he attachment that allows you to just blow air from the compressor. Usually has a lever on the top that you squeeze and the compressed air comes out the end. If you had wood shop in hight school, you probably used it to blow off your clothing after class.

·
Banned
437 Posts
I have remove sabots from muzzy's many times with that tool. As long as no air can escape around the projectile. Adding FFFF to the touch hole would also ignite the pellets. I have seen it advise to drop in some 4F before the pellets to aid ignition. Good luck.

·
Registered
20,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a blow gun.For some reason I was thinking you needed a special attachment to blow the charge out.Will the rubber tip work and how man PSI's?The only thing I don't get it is,won't I just be blowing air against the side of the pellets or are they seated above the hole?

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
I wouldn't be in the woods without one of these in my possibles bag/fanny pack. A heck of alot easier than a screw-in bullet puller or toting along an air compressor! lol

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Traditions guns do not have a flat bottomed breech, they have a channel drilled from the touch hole on a flintlock, and probably have this same setup for a caplock. These types of breeches are meant for loose powder which fills this small void and allows the spark to reach it. If using pellets, you may not be allowing the spark to get to where it needs to go, thus the pellets aren't igniting.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Yup the compressor is the way to go. I do it all the time with my flintlock. I only had a problem 1 time where the air pressure would not/could not move the round ball I had lodged in the barrel. That's probably because my compressor is really old and does not put out much pressure.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
In a flint or caplock, it is tough to ignite substitute powers. Subs are most times designed to ignite with a 209 primer, which is more powerful than a cap. Some shooters add a few grains (5-10) of real BP before dropping in the pellets. It will provide a more reliable ignition.

Unscrew the nipple, and dribble a few grains of 3Fg or 4Fg blackpowder down in the void.

Replace the nipple, recap it, and shoot in a safe direction.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts