The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you.i quit loading shotshells along time ago and now i want to start shooting in a few tournaments,so just trying to figure what shells to try.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
They are pretty salty in terms of price if you ask me. I don't think that they offer you much advantage over some of the cheaper shells. I like the Rio star team shells for sporting and their top trap for a heavier load. They save you $20+ per case. The Remington Gun Clubs are a bad target shell as well. I agree with Duckman in that the nitro sporting shells beat you pretty hard by the end of the day. Good luck!

·
Registered
955 Posts
I've shot them and would shoot them again,problem is I can't afford them. I also like Rio

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
The only hulls I reload are STS, Nitro and Win AA. I reload them with 7/8 oz of 7 1/2 or 8 shot @ 1350 fps. Breaks anything out there.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Shoot 'em, and again, and again. I get a lot of reloads out of Gun Club hulls too. Not as many as STS, but enough to make it worth while to pick up the Gun Club empties. AA's - not since they went to the new design.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I was talking to guy at a sporting clays course about reloading and he also gets lots of reloads out of Gun Club hulls. He said something about chrimping them a certain (5 Point maybe) way for better results.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
My crimps just follow the creases in the hull mouth and I believe I recall this can be 5 or 8 petals. Frankly, I reload way more Gun Club hulls than any other as I can get the empties very easily.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
You're right Jimsdad. More guys pick up the Gun Clubs at our range for reloading than any other hull. They do reload nice. Most of the guys will reload them before anything else. STS, Nitro and AA usually don't hit the ground unless there is a tourney here, but Gun Clubs are plentiful.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I've really never found a bad Remington hull to reload. Used to love the old Blue Magics, and I still have a couple hundred. I also have a garbage can full of once-fired Premiers. STS/Nitros are a beautiful hull to load, and even the Gun Clubs keep on going and going. I mainly load the Gun Clubs for hunting loads as I don't feel nearly as bad if I lose one as I do if I lose a Nitro/STS! The new 2-piece AA's are trash.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Bob Jamison said:
I've really never found a bad Remington hull to reload.
Back when I first started hunting in the early 80's, Remington made some Dove Loads, which were low brass, black hull, and the brass was actually like a copper color.

Worst hull ever!!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Only because they are a 6-point crimp. You get bad crimps if you are using an 8-point crimp starter. I've got several hundred of those old dove load cases that I use for, surprise! dove loads. I just use the 6-point crimp starter, they load fine. Windjammer wads slide into those cases beautifully.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Bob, the thing I noticed with most of them was that they would buckle over, just above the brass, during final crimp.

The crimp has nothing to do with it. I will say it again....a plastic hull will always crimp on the same lines the factory crimp has formed.

You can skip the pre-crimp stage all together an shells will crimp just fine.

A 6-point plastic hull will never crimp as an 8-point crimp.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
If you're getting buckling it's due to wad heighth. Try the Windjammers. The only time I get buckling is using a AA wad because of wad heighth.

When using 6 point crimp hulls with an 8-point starter, sometimes you'll get 6, sometimes 8, sometimes 7, sometimes humongously bad crimps. The best way is with a roll crimp starter.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
I don't waste my time with cheap hulls anymore. That was when I was a kid.

Now I have a pretty large reserve of old AA's and Remington's.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts