The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with stroke victims? My grandfather who is 70 took a stroke and I'm trying to learn as much about the condition as I can. He was my fav fishing partner. I just hope we can fish again together some day.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Depends on which side of the brain the stroke was and in which area. I've seen alot of stroke victims and they all recover at their own speed. Some will have decision making deficits, some will have speech deficits, experience weakness or paralysis. Good news is with time usually the first year some of it will go away. They may experience strokes again also. You just pray for the best and help them as much as possible with there recovery. My uncle had a Ischemic stroke in his 60's, it has been several years and unless you know what to look for you could never tell. I don't know how healthy he was before the stroke, but I pray that he will have a good recovery and you will get to fish together again. Best of luck.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. The stroke was on his right side which affected everything on his left. I'm not sure what type of stroke it was just yet... thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I had a stoke in the middle of last year. I think they are all different. Some have mild ones; some more serious. Haven't spent any time studying others.

I had one on my right side and it affected my left side. I had a weakened left leg and couldn't write or shave with my left hand. I was given an exercise to touch my left fingers to my thumb.

I had a vision problem; couldn't see perfectly on my left side. I had problems reading text, though my regular general vision, where I saw wasn't bad. Psychologically, not reading well, bothered me the most.

I was slightly overweight, and had a little cholesterol and high blood pressure. I had allergies which didn't help speed my recovery.

Put on a diet, I lost 25 lbs. I'm down to my basketball playing weight. I now take medication for the high blood pressure and cholesterol. Gone was the sugar in my daily hot teas.

I wasn't bed ridden but I did it in stages. I did my own walking, gradually to the bathroom. I began to move around the house with the aid of a cane. I then moved on to doing "Arlington unknown soldier walks" in the driveway. Each week I'd increase the walk. I'm up to a 1 1/2 miles a day of hiking now.

Two weeks after the stoke I got on the computer. I had to learn how to type again with my left fingers. The reading image was disjointed. I could see people but had trouble seeing text. Spent every day since, on the computer. My typing is back and my reading vision is near normal.

For the weakened left arm and hand I used five pound weights and a rubber ball. Finally got around to shaving and writing with that hand. My writing was never perfect, as an old shoulder injury made long writing uncomfortable, previously.

For the weakened left arm, I continued my old five pound weight training I started years previously, for archery. Only the old shoulder injury slowed me down. Most of the time I used both arms, together, with the 5 lb. weights.

So in the end it was walking to improve the left leg; using the computer to improve the reading ability; five pound weight training to work on the left arm;

It was diet to get in better physical shape; cut out the salt, the sugar, the large amounts of fat, the carbs and drinking more water.

If it was easy to recover, we wouldn't have strokes.

Good luck.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all who responded, but it was not in the cards. My grandfather took a 2nd stroke and passed away.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Condolescence and prayers go out to you and your family in the loss of your grandfather.

Carry him with you in your memories of the many times you fished together and as times heal your sadness pass on the fishing comradery by taking under your wing a person that may not have had the opportunity or know how to fish.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
gobble4me, our prayers go out to you and your family. Keep him in your heart. pahoytman said it all.....use his memory to teach a newbie everything that he taught you.
Take care, keep your chin up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts