The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
when the striper fishing closes around mid may near the susquanna flates in Maryland are you still allowed to fish for other species of fish like catfish and perch

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I was wondering how they know what you are fishing for because I use cut bait and chicken livers for catfish and stripers

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Catch some small white perch( 4"-6") and "live line" them. I use size 7/0 or 8/0 Gamakatsu Octopus or other non-offset circle hook. Tie directly to line(no weight). Use lite tackle & worms with a size 8 hook to catch small white perch before stating to striper fish. They keep alive well in a flow-thru type bait bucket. I set 2 rods off back of anchored boat with with open face baitcasters(Calcutta CT400 & a Penn 965) with click on. When they hit let run freely 30' or more & then start reeling to set hook(don't pull).You see a lot of guys using this method. Also, sassy shads & other swim baits etc work but live lining seems to be the best consistent producer. Cut bait(herring, bunker etc.) also works if you can get away from the catfish.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
do u catch white perch around port deposit and the flates I never just went for perch do you fish for them around piers

·
Banned
26,979 Posts

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
do u catch white perch around port deposit and the flates I never just went for perch do you fish for them around piers
If only targeting the early White Perch(larger size) run just north of the 95 Susky bridge(mile South of Port Deposit) is a hot spot around mid April in the 15-25 foot of channel edges. You will see a fleet of boat there if hitting. To fish for striper bait size...I suggest shallower water around piers on Port Deposit side. They pretty much are there up thru July/August. Also in front of Lapidum Ramp(across from Port Deposit) West side of river is also a good area for catching bait size white perch all the way up to Spencer & Roberts Islands.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
That is where I Kept my two boats on A dock.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
this is my second year there we stay on the boat on week ends and its nice and quite at night and I think one o the cheeper marinas around

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
What I liked about it was we could sit on our aft deck or on the dock and look down the Northeast river and up the Sassafras on a clear day. We were at the Marina for 8 years. Is Phil still running the place?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
OK, Phil Price is or was the guy who owned the Marina for long before and after I was there. There was no Amy when I was there. Do you go the the Wellwood?

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
QH...forgot to mention that if you have a fiberglass boat I suggest staying below Spencer & Robert's Islands just above Port Deposit. While the striper fishing there is the best...know many who cracked their hauls in the thousands of submerged rock structures in/around the islands. If alum boat...a rock guard is a must unless you have a jet.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i have a 24 foot chaparral cuddy cabin so I never go past the public boat ramp at port deposit. is it better for perch in deep water or around docks and piers

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I misspoke, somehow I Just saw Northeast and not the Northeast Marina. I stayed at the Charlestown Marina. Oops.:grin2:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts