The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new string for a bow that has been used quite a bit since its purchase last September. I dropped my bow off for service on Saturday without specifying which string to replace the original. I figure that work hasn't started yet with the holiday weekend and may be able to call and choose what I want it changed with, but would like to have someone's background knowledge to aid my decisions. Fast is always nice, but I would really like durability as I do not have a press nor have any experience changing a compound bow string and would like to pay the shop every once in awhile for replacements rather than too frequently. Thanks for the advice.
#60 Bear Lights Out with peep and loop. I try not to put too much on the bow, but would like to try a teflon slider. Don't know if this is relevant for a new string or not.

·
Registered
265 Posts
i got mine from viscosity. think it was 65 bucks. i love em

H and M bowstrings are supposed to be really good as well.

there are a ton of string makers out there, these are just the two that I, or someone i know, has shot.

o, and my shop put them on for 15 bucks, i don't have a press either

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are some strings faster than others? I have new string that seems noticeably slower than the one that came with the bow. I don't know the brand...

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Some are alittle faster due to different # of strands or different materials used but the human eye usually can't tell the difference. Most people can't notice the difference between 280 and 300 fps. on shots of normal distances.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
You can build your own. Use BCY 452 and 24 strands. You can buy one on archerytalk for $60 if need be. If you get one made from a shop, they'll charge you around $150 for just the string and no buss cables. The shop will quadruple what it would cost to buy from someone else.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I got some new strings from H&M bowstrings a month ago. I am very happy with them and the price was right.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Almost any one of them will work. H&M, JCY, Sixxstrings. Just look on the manufacturers at archerytalk.com. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
265 Posts
spur said:
You can build your own. Use BCY 452 and 24 strands. You can buy one on archerytalk for $60 if need be. If you get one made from a shop, they'll charge you around $150 for just the string and no buss cables. The shop will quadruple what it would cost to buy from someone else.
sounds like your getting ripped off. my shops strings are comparable to anyone on out there, for complete set and thats installed. i paid for a set from viscosity and my shop threw them on for 15 bucks cuz i didn't have a press.

and as far as building goes, its possible and seems fairly easy. i'm going to start after trying to build strings after the season. i wouldn't build your first set and head out into the woods JMO

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another question--- I've been to two shops now. The original shop "tried" to fix it and couldn't get it right. I moved on to another shop.... They were able to make it work for now, but I'm finding that my D Loop ends up facing the "wrong way" after each shot. Can anyone provide insight as to why this is happening? I already want a new string, as the current one was twisted to get close to the correct poundage... but still six pounds short of the max.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
They twisted it too far or not enough. The twist they added in put the original D loop in the wrong direction. If you want to stay with that set-up and not fix the string right, take off the loop and re-install it. I personally don't know how much you can twist a string before you mess something up....

·
Registered
287 Posts
spur said:
i got mine made string and cables for $50 and it was custom so i guess it just depends on where you get it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts