The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often should you change out your string? Reason I ask, Local archery shop told a guy who owns a Excalibur crossbow it should be change each year. My "Parker" string is going on 4 years! I"m looking to up grade my crossbow in the near future for obvious reason.

·
Super Moderator
14,267 Posts
I have had the original sting on my Horton Vision crossbow since it was new. So it has been on there for at least ten and maybe as many as twelve years now. It is still in good condition. But I make sure the sting is waxed often when I am using it and always in the case and out of the sunlight except when I am hunting with it.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
22,590 Posts
the string on my parker has been changed once in 15 years and i dont think it needed it. the guy at the pro shop said the string and cables needed to be changed every couple of years....i dont know. everything looks good and tight.

·
Registered
19,662 Posts
Most manufacturers recommend around every three years. Do I believe that is necessary? No. Unless someone does a tremendous amount of shooting.

Keep it waxed. Check your timing occasionally. Would I let them go past 10 years? Probably not. But 5-10 years isn't unreasonable for a bow that isn't shot a lot.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Like everyone else my Xbow string doesn't get changed regularly. I got it seven years ago when I couldn't use my compound any longer, and it's still wearing the original string.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
My Parker is 11 yrs old and changed the string about 3 yrs ago. Changed more for peace of mind than any damage to string which was waxed and servings in good shape. On the plus side was the string noise drop was noticable. You get so use to string noise over time any change is noticed. Deer still jump the string tho!

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
I replaced the factory string with a boo string and still have it on the bow after 11 years with no wear !

Reactions: Laylow

·
Banned
2,482 Posts
here is the catch,
Older Excalibur and regular crossbows and the NEW Excalibur's are not the same animal. These new micro limb jobs 270-290lbs bows EAT strings like crazy depending on how much you shoot 1-2 years is really about normal for them. Other bows I think just pay attention to them and maybe change them after 5 years for general purpose.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
268 Posts
here is the catch,
Older Excalibur and regular crossbows and the NEW Excalibur's are not the same animal. These new micro limb jobs 270-290lbs bows EAT strings like crazy depending on how much you shoot 1-2 years is really about normal for them. Other bows I think just pay attention to them and maybe change them after 5 years for general purpose.
Newer narrower designs with higher draw weights are harder on strings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts