The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in need of a string for a Long Bow...this bow used to be my Dad's...I have his Recurve and have been shooting with it and doing pretty good...Would Love to get a String for the Long Bow and try it out...

Also need wooden arrows, was thinking Cedar but seeing time is running out to get them before season, I'll take any kind of wooden arrows that will work...

Does anyone know if Kinsleys would have a string for the Long Bow?

And do they sell Wooden Arrows?

I've never been to Kinsleys, but have had a few guys tell they should have what I need!??

·
Registered
596 Posts
i believe they do have strings and arrows but i dont think there wood cabelas also sells stuff for long bows and what size string do you need i might have one for sale

·
Registered
872 Posts
Does it say what length the bow is? From that you can get the string length needed. IMHO, go aluminum especially if you want them quick for this year. What is the draw weight?

If you're set on wood, check with Bob Hildebrand on here and look at 3Riversarchery.com or KustomKing.com. They'll have prefinished wood arrows for you.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Punkinhead said:
Does it say what length the bow is? From that you can get the string length needed.
The Bow is 67 inchs long

Punkinhead said:
IMHO, go aluminum especially if you want them quick for this year.
I have Aluminum and shoot those out of my Recurve that was my Dad's...I'd just like to try Wood to see if they shoot better, from what I remember when Dad shot both the Recurve and Long Bow it seemed like wood shot better in both, He shot Wood Arrows for many years, then switched to Aluminum arrows right before he bought his Compound and shot aluminum out of the recurve and Long Bow...seemed he shot much better with Wooden and I remember he got upset a few times shooting aluminum and blamed it on the bows and went and bought a compound..

Punkinhead said:
What is the draw weight?
Not Sure, My 1 Brother also has a Long Bow that he shot with Dad, his is the same size, they are almost look alikes, there Were 3 bows, My Dad and 1 Uncle had worked together and made all 3 Bows, the 1 that was my Uncle's is MIA some place...From what I remember my Brother telling me about all 3 Bows when I got Dad's from my Mom, they are Supposed to be 70 pounds...the Recurve is 50 pounds, I'm thinking the Long Bow has to be in around there and not 70 pounds!??

Punkinhead said:
If you're set on wood, check with Bob Hildebrand on here and look at 3Riversarchery.com or KustomKing.com. They'll have prefinished wood arrows for you.
I'd like to get wood and try them, I'm not real sure if I'd be ready for Archery Season with this Long Bow but I'd sure love to give it a try and If I can shoot it like the Recurve, carry it a few times during the season!

Thanks for the Sites to check, I'll check them out and see what they have!

I was lucky to get all 3 of Dad's Bows, none of my Brothers wanted them....The Compound is another subject in itself, it is a Indian Compound...it has 1 Cable to it, no cable and then a string, I would like to get it worked on to get a cable and string put on it...I've had a few shops tell me NOT to Shoot it because of it being the 1 full Cable deal...they said to have it switched up to 2 cables and a string connecting them and also suggested that I have the Limbs checked to make sure they do not have any Cracks in them(Limbs are Camo Painted)...Since I was told that, I'd had it hanging and have not shot it for about 7 years!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
4'' shorter for recurve and 3'' shorter for a longbow,so your bow needs a 64'' string,unless it's fast flight compatable do not use fast flight strings,only b50 flemish.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
If your longbow is an older one, I'd be willing to bet its not set up to shoot a fast flight string. You can order a flemish twist string online and have it within a few days. I shoot cedar from my longbow. I just enjoy making my own arrows and they smell good when they break. You'll get more matched consistancy with aluminium and carbon. When using cedar, sometimes you may have to make and shoot quite a few before you get six or so to shoot consistantly. But then again, its all about shooting so I don't mind the extra work you have to put into it.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
skube said:
Woody, check this place out, real close to home, don't know anything about him just saw the ad .

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/spo/1928121257.html
Hey skube,

THANKS!!

I dropped my long bow off to Chris there at Creek Side Archery this afternoon...he has to make a special string for it.

Nice Guy to talk to and he has some neat things in his shot that he makes himself and sells!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got a call the other day...String is made, Bow did NOT Snap in 2 when the guy strung the new string!

Going to pick it up next Saturday and start flinging arrows with it....

Dad's Long Bow is going to be back out in the field again after 30 years hanging on a Buck Rack...

Can not wait...Hope I can have a chance at a deer this year with it, don't matter if it is a Buck or a Doe...many memories in that Bow.....Dad will be with me again Hunting!!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I wanted to take my dad's recurve out about 10 years ago but the limbs were twisted. Found one like it and haven't had the compound out since.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts