The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 2 boxes of strike anywhere matches at Cabela's. I haven't seen these on the shelves for years.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Here in Western PA most of the small local hardware stores carry them. I have also seen them in many of the small stores at campgrounds, or near State Parks.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Most stores don't carry them because they can ignite in the box when shipped or dropped due to bouncing around and cause a fire.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Pick up a metal match and you'll never go wrong. Won't have to worry if it get's wet. Walmart sells them cheap.

·
Registered
12,388 Posts
My local grocery carries them all thhe time. If I buy the other kind, other family members are forever leavinjg the match boxes out in the weather etc, wherever thhey last used them.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Ace hardware sells them, I have 5 or 6 boxes. i will not dip into wax tho, as they can be used to re prime spent pistol, rifle primers. I have heard shotgun primers as well. just take the anvil out of the inside of the spent primer(remember that the pointed end will need to put back in the same position) with a fine finnish nail, use a punch to hammer the firing pin dent flat, use a pair of needle nose pliers to break all the red and white stuff off the tip of the match, and use a hammer or rolling pin to crush ito a fine powder. about 3 match heads will fill a small pistol primer. use the match stick to pack the powder back into the primer cup.reset anvil and your good to reload.
The primer will be corosive, so make sure you clean the gun like you would a BP rifle, or pistol, or shotgun.
Roland

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Here Lehigh County the Army /Navy store on grape street in Whitehall. Crries strike anywheres plus All kinds of survival gear. Price are "ok"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts