The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any wood ones they want to sell??Or, if I could get a pattern for making some that would work too.Interested in all sizes from rats to yotes.Just want to get away from wire now and have better looking put up.Send me a pm if you could help me out with any for sale
Thanks

·
Registered
284 Posts
Don't want to highjack your thread but I had a question.

Those dimensions are good but when do you make the curve for the head, if your building ones from scratch? Which is what I'm going to do. Is there a template floating around online?

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
charman03 said:
Lugnut what width fox boards do you use? I've seen that width vary from 6 to 7" depending on who's standards you look at.
I build mine to the NAFA specs in the link I posted above. 7" for large and 6.5" for small fox boards. Generally, red fox 10.5 lbs and above go on the large boards and under that go on the small boards.

I sold to country buyers for years, one thought pelts stretched on the large fox boards were too wide on the bottom but another thought they were fine. I ship everything to NAFA now so...

FHA specs a fox board that is 5.5 inches, that seems narrow to me. Most fox 11.5 pounds and up have lots of room around the hips on the large NAFA boards.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
stroker97 said:
Don't want to highjack your thread but I had a question.

Those dimensions are good but when do you make the curve for the head, if your building ones from scratch? Which is what I'm going to do. Is there a template floating around online?
I don't know of any template but the NAFA Pelt Handling Manual shows the boards and dimensions starting on page 45.

I just start in the center of the board and layout a curve to the first, second , third, etc. dimensions. Once you have one good board built to spec, use it as a pattern for all the rest.

Muskrat boards were a little tricky because of the wide curve near the head.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I agree these seem pretty narrow with larger fox. Alot of extra hide at the hip. But thats what the dealer sold me.

I sold to country buyers for years, one thought pelts stretched on the large fox boards were too wide on the bottom but another thought they were fine. I ship everything to NAFA now so...

FHA specs a fox board that is <span style="font-weight: bold">5.5 inches</span>, that seems narrow to me. Most fox 11.5 pounds and up have lots of room around the hips on the large NAFA boards.

[/quote]

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks.lugnut that trappers response thing on your link was driving me nuts for a little playing it.Never got faster then a trap
Anyone have used for sale I'd be interested.I'm in Carbon Cou ty,and would travel a little to pick up

·
Registered
212 Posts
my boards are 48" long 51/2-61/2 wide.I use the 51/2 for grays and small reds. Going to get some 60 inch boards this year.The reason is,because i hang my fox from the tail end and sometimes the tail is to long.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just bunch your tail up onto the board like for a coon...then you won't have the tail hanging off the board. The buyer shouldn't dock you for a funny looking tail.

Kris

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks for the info Kdr, but i don't think i could do that to my fox. My 48 inch boards work fine ,I just want to try some 60"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts