The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new unused spool of Stern original clear 4 lb. test , the spool is about 10 yrs old keep in my garage never saw any sun. Would this be good to use?

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I have a new unused spool of Stern original clear 4 lb. test. The spool is about 10 yrs. old, kept in my garage, never saw any sun. Would this be good to use?
No, the shelf life for unused monofilament is 2-3 years. I recommend you throw it away.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Didn't know that, pitched. Great job on your summary Trout Traveler, enjoyed .
Thanks, glad you enjoyed my summary.

After that length of time, when you loaded your reel, you would have seen a lot of curl in the line.

TT

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I would caution against just throwing it in the trash.
I save all my old line and anything I pick up streamside and throw it in the firepit or burn barrel.
This way it turns into a plastic clump and I can sleep at night knowing I didn't throw out line that could possibly entangle wildlife, regardless of how remote it may seem.
Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
In the "old days" when we had local bait & tackles most had big boxes provided by Berkley for old line. Fill up the box and ship it back to Berkley and they recycled it... supposedly not into "new" line but judging from various Trilene types I've tried I'm not sure about that ... 😀

As far as I know and have been told by several line makers..... Mono will last quite awhile as long as it is stored in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight. I bought bulk spools of Silver Thread AN-40(6,10 + 17lb test) going on 3 years ago and it is just as good as the day I bought it. I've also got bulk/filler spools in when I worked at the shop that were bad right out the box. I don't know if it was a defective batch, sitting in a hot warehouse in Mexico or what.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
The OP said the line was around 10 years old. He said it was kept in his garage and not exposed to the sun. 2-3 years, 4 at the outside, the line might be OK. But 10 years in the same position wound around a spool? No way it would be worth using.

He said he already pitched it. EightPoint had a good suggestion about the line.

I also remember seeing places to throw away old line in tackle shops a long time ago. I agree about Berkeley Trilene line, I don’t like it at all.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Maybe there should be a federal program where you can turn in your old fishing equipment (line, rods, lures, flies) for cash. You could call it, "Cash for Lunkers". (Kidding!) 😆

1 - 8 of 8 Posts