The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have hunted arrowheads and Native American relics for 10 years and have found many points, pottery pieces, etc. Most of my finds have been in plowed fields and such.
I live in SW Pa. and was curious if anyone here hunts along streams, rivers, or creeks. I have tried in the past with no luck in areas I know have artifacts. Any poinetrs or hints on what to look for and where to look?

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I am an extreme novice, just started last year. Several of the best artifact pickers I have met say the same things. Find a spot where two streams come together. Search the first or second "hump" of higher ground near the confluence of the streams. These spots are literally where they camped for thousands of years. The streams were the major pathways. I have had a little luck already last fall once I started looking in the right spots.

·
Registered
912 Posts
A fella here at work finds quite a bit along the Ohio river. I have found points on top of high banks along the Ohio. Mostly crude points made out of a dull white chert. I have not searched stream beds too much but I would think that eventually points would get washed into the streams as they eroded the bank. I find it hard to see the points mixed in with the rest of the stones.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts