The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first strawberries of the season on Sat. I watched them being picked or I wouldn;t have believed they weren't shipped, the earliest I have ever bought fresh picked berries I can remember. The were a bit costly but they are delicious, very sweet and nice sized.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just in a bowl with milk, tonight it will be with shortcake.

·
Registered
525 Posts
They are very early this year. Last year I ate my first ripe berry on May 19,out of my strawberry beds. this year I ate the first ripe one May 4. Now have a ton to go out and pick. Time for shortcake and homemade strawberry icecream. Yum!

·
Registered
16,458 Posts
I'm probably 10 short days away from starting to pick Black Raspberries. That will be a good 3 weeks or so ahead of normal.

On a different note. I'm missing some good growing weather by not having the garden in yet.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Put in a raised strawberry bed against the main garden about a month ago. Already got a half dozen delicious berries from the young plants. Another dozen or so to pick later today. Over 3 years after moving finally have the sweet red berries growing again!

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
never tried them with a bowl of milk....will have to soon! I usually buy mine at Costco. they are the best I've found with the exception of farmers markets or out of my friend's grandmas garden.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I put in a 40 sq foot pyramid last year and have been amazed by the results. Started with 20 plants and now have well over 200(definitely need to do some thinning this summer). I'm up to 10 quarts in 3 pickings so far. I'm excepting at least another 10 before they're all said and done. Making my first batch of jam tonight!

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Here is my pyramid before the plants got too big. The dimensions are 8' X 5' at the bottom, 6' X 3' on the second level and 4' X 1' on top. It allows for the 40 sq feet to be fully utilized.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts