The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the loggers pulled out after 2 weeks of logging the property behind my cabin, so I decided to take a walk to see what they had done. On the one skidder trail I found these seedpods and I have no idea what tree they're from. They're all about 2 1/2" long and about 1" wide. It looks like when they start to ripen they turn a nice color of pinkish red and the seeds are bright orange colored. Anybody know what they are? First time ever I've seen such seeds!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Look like seeds from the cucumber magnolia tree, I have seen them in Jefferson Co.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Looks like cucumber magnolia to me. John posted while I was typing, lol

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Pep, for some reason most people don't recognize the pods nor the tree even though they are fairly common anywhere I've hunted in PA. Were these found in Warren county?

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
There are several CM trees along the 337? that runs from Tidioute to Warren Through the hearts content area. The large leaves make spotting the tree easy once you know what they look like.

·
Registered
626 Posts
yep its a cm. i have several of them on my property, my dads pro[erty and my neighbors property, they are fairly abundant in my area. cant eat them, but turkey, grouse, and squirrels love the seeds

·
Registered
949 Posts
Bears also like the seeds of CM, and if you look at the trunk of the tree you can generally see bear claw marks in the especially soft bark of the Cucumber tree, where they climbed up to get at the seed pods, unless of course, they are off dining at the local Italian heritage festival.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts