The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First year trying corn and we've had some hard luck!
I don't know what this is - but it's scary!!!! Anybody know what this is???

Further, it's looks like 'coons got the good corn!

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, lanchester, you were right on it! That looks like it. Being new to growing corn, never seen it before. One concern is that it says the spores that are released can reside in the soil for years.

Do you agree that it looks like 'coons got the good ears? All my good ears are shredded and stripped like the one in the picture.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Nasty looking stuff!! It has been a rough year for corn at my place also. I tried a *new special hybrid* and to make a long story short I have stalks that are about waist high and cobs about as big as my finger. Really is pathetic looking.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Rabbit410 said:
Wow, lanchester, you were right on it! That looks like it. Being new to growing corn, never seen it before. One concern is that it says the spores that are released can reside in the soil for years.

Do you agree that it looks like 'coons got the good ears? All my good ears are shredded and stripped like the one in the picture.

i googled it for similar images.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW, I would venture a guess by your name I'm probably not that far from you - pretty close to the county line. No where near Limerick!

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Rabbit410 said:
I've visibly witnessed squirrels shred corn just how that is shredded. A lot of the coons I've seen eating the corn they pull the stalk down then tear it apart.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Rabbit410 said:
BTW, I would venture a guess by your name I'm probably not that far from you - pretty close to the county line. No where near Limerick!

strasburg an quarryville area....grew up in the in the ville of chesco.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went out and looked at this again this morning. It is just as the article says, and some of the nodules have already popped - so that means spores!
Cut the plant off, bagged it and disposed of it! I don't know if burning it would be better to kill the fungus? Got to check into a fungicide.

Shippinit said:
I've visibly witnessed squirrels shred corn just how that is shredded.
Gettin me an air rifle!

LCC said:
... in the ville of chesco
There is only one 'ville in chesco - and it ain't Phoenix! (My alma mater - and not ashamed of it!
)
Yeah, I'm east of you.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Do you know that people in Mexico actually eat that fungus? It is called corn smut.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
John S said:
Do you know that people in Mexico actually eat that fungus? It is called corn smut.

Corn smut is also known as cuitlacoche in Mexico and South America, where it is served as a delicacy.
Maize Mushroom! Unbelieveable!

Cuitlacoche
Right now, the only fungi I eat are mushrooms, beer, and bread. That's right. Beer and bread contain fungi.
One man's fungus is another man's delicacy?!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Rabbit410 said:
John S said:

Corn smut is also known as cuitlacoche in Mexico and South America, where it is served as a delicacy.
Maize Mushroom! Unbelieveable!

Cuitlacoche
Right now, the only fungi I eat are mushrooms, beer, and bread. That's right. Beer and bread contain fungi.
One man's fungus is another man's delicacy?!
Rabbit,

Are you refering with the Crazy smiley about the comment in quotes on the beer and bread?

If so, they are refering to yeast

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, I was referring to the corn fungus. I did know that about the yeast.
BTW, I live in southern Chester Co where mushrooms are big business! And I do enjoy them!
I think it's the appearance of the corn fungus that kind of turns me off. I mean this stuff looks like something out of a sci-fi!

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Rabbit410 said:
I think it's the appearance of the corn fungus that kind of turns me off. I mean this stuff looks like something out of a sci-fi!
No, this stuff looks like it should be in a different can, you know, the porcelain kind....

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Rabbit410 said:
No, I was referring to the corn fungus. I did know that about the yeast.
BTW, I live in southern Chester Co where mushrooms are big business! And I do enjoy them!

We find ears of sweet corn every hear and there in the sweet corn patch here in Dauphin County each year...

We always knew it was a Fungus and really never gave it much thought....and surely did not think anything out of sci fi!

Thing that gets me is, if the spores fall to the ground then get on the corn growing next year....Why doesn't it affect ALL of the corn in the field?

In our 3 acre field, it is just a few here and there!

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe it's like the flu - it's all around but only a few get it really bad?

Shhhhhh, don't tell the gubmint - they'll insist on mandatory immunizations!

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
[

LCC said:
... in the ville of chesco
There is only one 'ville in chesco - and it ain't Phoenix! (My alma mater - and not ashamed of it!
)
Yeah, I'm east of you.[/quote]

cash class of 87

1 - 20 of 20 Posts