The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many years ago,the first gun i shot was a shotgun.Next was a 22 single shot. I was not old enough to go hunting but it was fun to go shoot with my Grand Pap and Uncles.
As years went by,i became old enough to go hunting.
I was taken to a place that was like a rifle range,not a real range but a long open spot that the locals would go to shoot their rifle in for deer season. It was like a gathering of all the locals whom hunted together and their young ones.
If you have ever been to one of these places or if not,it was just a couple of old metal barrels and a stump to shoot from? It was about 75 yards to the first barrel and 100 yards to the second one. It sat almost into the bushes and the tree line!
The older men would sight the rifles in and then us young ones would see if we could hit the targets? They held us kids to the 75 yard one!
After a few of us shooting and hitting the paper target,we were told that's good you should be able to hit a deer at that range??? I was happy!
Then,as always,there was that young fellow who want to show off and shoot the 100 yard target!!!
I remember this well and it took me a few years to not believe in it!!!!!!
The kids Uncle looks at him,very seriously,with the other guys watching and listening to them!
He says to the lad," IF YOU SHOOT THAT GUN ,THAT FAR,YOU WILL STRAIN THE BARREL AND RUIN IT!"
The other guys,who heard this,turned their backs to them and walked away laughing!!!!!!
Man,i hope i have never done this to any of my guns?

·
Registered
12,134 Posts
Maybe he was just too cheap to let the kid waste a round. But we do know he didn't strain that barrel.

·
Registered
12,134 Posts
willyp said:
We hill folks do toy with each other and this was a joke.
I hang around with a lot of "hill folk" and nothing they say would surprise me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.