The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Story behind my first bear.....

In a recent post about how many bears we have taken ,I gave my reply and stated my first kill had a pretty good story behind it....Didnt have time until now to write it so here goes........Opening day 7am 2000 bear season in tionesta pa...With a snowstorm on the way I decide to just hunt the Steep Laurel hillside right behind camp along the alleghenny river instead of driving to a spot about 10 miles away.With a short walk about 500 yards behind camp and through the plan of camps i reach the big rock 1/2way down the mtn...My partner is on a rock within eyesiteabout 200 yards away....The morning brings back no memories but a heavy snowfall and cold windy temps.....So about 11 am we do the the lunch at camp thing which was unusual for us but we did anyways ...(We were cold and hungy)after lunch mike drops me at the point of the ridge and i was gona walk the laurel towards him as he went back to the rock he was on...well after I get to my rock that I was on I saw some snowed in tracks that looked like bear and I told him on the radio I think i have a track here .He replied as he looked toward me Oh #*%$ they go right past here must have been by during Lunch.....So its about 1:00 off I go straight up the mtn toward the camps..I follow them up right through the camps (I unloaded to be legal)they went on porches under porches I even walk past some guys at a camp eating lunch...They then crossed the camp road into some posted ground which was about a 200 yard strip between camp road and rt 36..Accross 36 was another steep hillside where I thought he would be ...Do i continue or not?Well I decide to keep going Still Unloaded hoping he would go out the other side...Well this was a piece I had hunted before it was posted and it really changed It was timbered and the tops were all left I quickly realized he would probablly be here......Almost 10 yards from 36 the tracks seem to end. Confused I wondered where they went...Well He Backed up 10 yards,Yes "BACKED UP" in his own tracks and split off down along the road into a small nasty hollow...From that point i follow with my eyes his tracks down to the creek and up the other side I look directly accross and hes laying there facing me under a brushpile.....Down to 1 knee jack a round in and just as I`m squeezing the trigger I remember "ITS POSTED".I start thinking who owns this land ?I decide its the redwood house on the bend and hightail it to there....Ive been on the track for two hours I`m dehydrated and exausted .I reach the house and I knock ,I Say to the guy"I just tracked a bear from the riverface and he is down in this patch here Do you know who owns it?" He replies "Congradulations I own the property"To his suprise I said "I did not shoot him cause it was posted"He said he was just out that he would get his gun and we will go try to find him....We go back to the point where I was when I seen him as I looked accross the ravine I say he was right there and now hes gone...I pull up the scope to look and there he is, he saw me leave and just backed further into the Brushpile I could see 2 eyes and a Brown muzzle and a black nose,I determined he was facing me and held 6in below the nose and squeezed .I hit him dead in the chest and he came thrashing out growling and scrambling ,I was told if they are movin keep shootn til the death moan so I did...He was 170 yards I hit him all 4times ...turns out he was exactlly 200 lbs and I was on the track for 3 hrs ....The property owner and I became GREAT FRIENDS and I hooked up with his group and have killed 4 more with them..In the 12 years since we have killed just over 20 bears...Fact is they are all my GOOD FRIENDS now and make bear season a special time indeed

·
Registered
68 Posts
Re: Story behind my first bear.....

Thanks for sharing, great story!

·
Registered
300 Posts

Posted must mean looking for hunting buddy lol ....just kidding around! Congrats on your success and glad everything turned out the way it did, Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
3,747 Posts

Good story but if you want to avoid criticism I would leave out a few of the details.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

To tell it another way would not be true ...Thats the way it happened so be it......... Some will like it some wont.I`m not embarrassed or regret anything I have done that day or any other day in the field......

·
Registered
2,933 Posts

i see nothing wrong with your story ,great job , glad you never gave up on the track .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts