The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I put them in zip-lok bag ang store in basement(cool), good for 10 years. I've shot 20+ year old primers, with good ignition anf accuracy

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I have a coffee can full of 209 primers that went through the Johnstown flood of 77 and never had a missfire. Contrary to what you might have heard, it's very HARD to kill primers.

·
Registered
378 Posts
bownut said:
Contrary to what you might have heard, it's very HARD to kill primers.
Very true!

I reloaded a batch of .308's & .30-06's for high power shooting last month and used a bunch of primers from boxes denoting a price of $7.99/1000, yet every round went "bang" when I pulled the trigger. I wish I hadn't used them all up, or better, I wish we could go back to the days we had those prices!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Harry - I'm not so sure zip lock bags are moisture proof. Sometimes they leak, and they don't protect food in the fridge for long. If moisture collects in them, that would kill the primers.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I never had a quality zip lock bag leak laying on a shelf in my reloading room. Even with a pin hole no moisture will go in from a dry room, if the bag is not accordianed.

Zip lock bags are moisture proof 100%. I use them for everything including storing silver (it doesn't tarnish), but you MUST put only dry things into them and dry air, and 'burp' the air out. ITC loves them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts