The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the best way to store morels? I've been do alittle research on the internet and they say freezing or drying. Anyone here ever freeze them? Do they end up soft after being froze? Thanks , Mike

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I freeze them all the time. You can store them as long as you want frozen.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have never tried drying them, but some people say thats the ticket. I always sautee mine and vaccum seal them. They come out tasting fresh after as long as a year. Thats as long as they've lasted.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I dry mine.

I dry until they are crisp and then put in a "Lock and Lock" container. They keep as long as they last.

Am going to look into freeze-drying next year...

·
Registered
943 Posts
I froze some fresh this year & have eaten some of them since. Not bad, but the texture is definitely softer than fresh ones. I have eaten dehydrated ones too, and if I could choose, I'd probably dehydrate them. Don't get me wrong though, the frozen ones are still tasty!

·
Registered
80 Posts
i strung my find on a string to dry until they are hard and then put them in a mason jar. we threw a handfull of dried morels in with a pot roast for dinner and they came out tender and delicious, couldn't tell they were dried !

·
Registered
79 Posts
i sun dry mine (sometimes cool smoke roast dry) and store them in a dark area in a white cloth sack (stored in the dry area in cellar)

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
I dry my Morels by placing about 5 each in a closed up lunch paper bag and set it on the top of your frig for oh about three days.. They dry inside bag. I just keep the now dried Morel's in a plastic bag in the frig..Remember I said 5 each in each bag now... You don't wawnt to try to dry 20 in one lunch bag...Thats the secret the space in the brown paper bag..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts