The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to build a storage locker for my hunting gear. I have the plans to build it to look like a "locker room" locker. I plan on using 2x4 for the structure and plywood for the facing. I would like to stain it, however I am a little weary about stain because of the smell (hunting clothes). Any recommendations of what I can do. Any suggestion would be helpful.

ps. I do not want to paint it.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
There are waterbased stains and waterbased polyurethane finishes . Minwax is one brand. Just finish the outside. You could line the inside with cedar planks or get a very small ozone machine and run the night before you go out hunting

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wald thank you for your suggeations. I did think about the cedar planks for the inside, but I kind of like the look of the stain.
I agree that the water based stain would be best. Anyone have a guess as to how long I should let it sit and odor-out before hanging my gear in it?

I do plan on washing and the putting in scent proof bag before season begins, but would like to cut down on stain odor best I can in off season.

Thanks again for the input/help guys!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Anything I stain I usually polyurethane. No stain odor after that. Using a quick dry Minwax brand this week and it's dry in 3 hours.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Most of the odor in stains comes from oil based stains and finishes. Waterbase has little odor and once you poly it and give it a few days I don't think you got any worries. I have used waterbased poly on some hardwood floors and there was no noticible odor the next day.
I would be more concerned with the human odors on clothes than finishes. I put my stuff in plastic tubs that have a smell and have deer come within a few yards

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys thank you for the suggestions. I really appreciate your help. I will use the water based stain / poly as suggested. Again, much appreciated!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts