The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are stone broadheads legal for big game in PA? In one section of the digest it says broadheads of a cutting edge design are legal.On page 30 of the digest it says "Broadheads shall have an outside diameter of at least 7/8" with no less than two STEEL cutting edges." That's why I was curious if stone points were legal.

·
Registered
25,511 Posts
Go with the definition for two cutting edges and the rest of it about being on the same plane and the size. The "steel" part was a mistake.

·
Registered
356 Posts
WPAtrapper said:
Are stone broadheads legal for big game in PA? In one section of the digest it says broadheads of a cutting edge design are legal.On page 30 of the digest it says "Broadheads shall have an outside diameter of at least 7/8" with no less than two STEEL cutting edges." That's why I was curious if stone points were legal.

ya it will really take down a mammoth

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
B K--- Do you have those organised in any specific way?

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
DennyF said:
Go with the definition for two cutting edges and the rest of it about being on the same plane and the size. The "steel" part was a mistake.
Then I guess "1 buck per year" is a mistake also?

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
i think the "STEEL" part in the book clears up if you can or "CAN"T" use stone....how can the "STEEL" part be a mistake in the book???............bob

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
bob1961 said:
i think the "STEEL" part in the book clears up if you can or "CAN"T" use stone....how can the "STEEL" part be a mistake in the book???............bob

NO mention of steel in the regulations. See below.

Title 58, Section 141.43. Deer.

(a) Archery deer season.

(1) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt deer during the archery deer season with any of the following devices:

(i) A bow and arrow. A bow must have a peak draw weight of at least 35 pounds. An arrow must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and may not exceed 3 inches in length.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
The digest isn't the law or regulations, someone took literary license, it needs to be corrected for next year.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
That has been in the digest for at least the last 2 years, probably 3 years.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
i was going by the OP had in his post quote "STEEL" as if he quoted it from the book............bob

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Hopefully this year that will be corrected in the digest.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
GalThatFishes said:
Hopefully this year that will be corrected in the digest.
IF they are notified of the mistake. It's been in there a couple years at least.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
They were notified. I forget if it was Ed W or who (may have even been you, lol) that talked to them about it, and they confirmed stone points were legal and it was a mistake.

If they REMEMBER or not is another story in and of itself, lol

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
I don't personally use stone points, but I have a friend who made his own bow, makes his own arrows, and even naps his own flint to make his arrows.

One of the best craftsmen and woodsmen I know, and everything he's hit with a stone point has gone down with ease.

Do you realize how sharp those things are? Holy heck!

I'm waiting for him to make me a knife from Obsidian. I'll put the blade on that up against most anything else.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Stetam said:
If you are indeed considering using a stone point, can you explain why

Stetam
Stone points are actually sharper than steel blades.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
why do some people use flintlocks? same thing...some people want to go to the extreme of traditionalism. Stone points on hand made arrows from a longbow is about as traditional as one could get I think.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts