The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
10,208 Posts
Does that also go for trappers with illegal sets? I had a dog caught in November, no name tag on the trap

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
My tags all pretty much look like this. View attachment 179597
I was trapping with a buddy one year and the WCO tried to pinch my buddy for a tag just like that. He first said they weren’t tagged. When we showed him the tags he said he couldn’t read them and was still going to charge him with it. We scraped the copper with a knife to show him it could be read and he still didn’t like it saying he wasn’t going to go around scraping tags to read them.
My buddy got written up for a few things and none of them stuck, including the tag issue.
The guy and his deputy just couldn’t believe two kids from Columbia county would drive all the way up to Wayne county to catch beaver and were bound and determined to get us for something. LOL
We were walking out carrying traps and they jumped out of the brush with hands on their guns and asked if we had weapons on us.
Just a strange way to handle things with a. Couple of kids.
I’ll never forget his name either……
I still to this day have all my traps tagged just like this.

·
Registered
43 Posts
... I would even go as far as check in the am, snap them off and reset before dark. That gets old really quick!...
3 years ago a coworker asked if I'd trap a coyote that she had seen chasing one of her Pomeranians in her large yard/field. She'd regularly bring her little dogs out there with a tennis racquet and knock a tennis ball across the field for them to chase. I made 4 dirt-hole sets, one in each corner of the yard. I checked them at sunrise and then put a piece of tin over the sets. In the afternoon after she got done playing with the dogs she would remove the tins.

... I really do think that some people think that trapping was outlawed and not something that is done in this state...
Still a few more years before trapping will be outlawed in PA. We are the last generation.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
So the note I hung for the thief/coward is no longer there. It thawed out some yesterday so I noticed some tracks froze in this morning that were not there yesterday. Definitely looked like dog. Looks like his dog located my other two sets but didnt step on them. I think i have it narrowed down to a local homeowner who has been seen walking dogs back there according to some intel I recieved from peoplw who have hunted there. I'll be putting cams out this evening, just a few cheapo's in case they get busted.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Years ago, I trapped a Game Lands which was also a popular dog walking area. Due to the number of hunters, I waited until the Sunday after deer season to put out some sets. Checking them Monday morning, 3 of them were already gone.

A few days later I get a call from the Game Warden. He said that a guy came strutting into the regional office carrying my traps. Very proudly, he said: “this trapper needs educated – can you believe he was trapping on Game Lands?”. LOL

I wish I could have seen his face when the GW said that it is a perfectly legal activity. Anyway, the GW asked if I wanted to prosecute the guy, and if so, I would need to testify. I said I would gladly testify but would leave the decision to him, based upon the guy’s reaction and demeanor after being told that it was legal. I said that if he is a “fence sitter” regarding trapping, paying a fine might turn him into an “anti”. The GW didn’t prosecute and I got my traps back.

It turned out, I did catch his dog and after he released it, he also found and took my other 2 traps. I still don’t know how he pulled the traps. Because of theft, I always double crossed staked when trapping Game Lands and needed a vice grips to pull double crossed stakes.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Well I got my trap back... I also recorded pretty much the whole encounter. What an ***!! He totally broke the law and admitted it. My tag is still on the trap, and I was sure to point that out to him!! I almost made the poor ******* cry and im not sure if i'll be turning him in yet. The video is very incriminating and borderline pathetic on his part. If it wasn't for that stupid note he wrote I probably would have been a little more forgiving.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
His message sounds like he knew the law was closing in on him and he thought by speaking with you he could get some leniency. Let the PGC work him over.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Will you share the video with us?
It's over 5 minutes long. It's pretty embarrassing for him and i'm really not a fan of publicly shaming someone on social media. I may post the first thirty seconds or so, but the rest of the tape is of him trying to justify his wrong doing followed by me telling him what a baffoon he is and what I though of his note. He also asked me over and over to relocate the traps too. I told him he was lucky I didn't relocate his TEETH!! I pulled the other two traps because I knew that was only the right thing to do. I think he learned a good lesson today as did I. I'm sure he won't be bothering anybodys sets and unless I'm up camp, I'll probably just stick to trapping private land no matter how much sign is present. I just see this place as being a nightmare in the future if i continue to trap there. I probably inflicted enough emotional damage on him that I don't even know if I'll call the PGC back.

·
Registered
437 Posts
It's up to you if you want to have him fined. I personally think having the guys in green nock on his door even if it's just to educate him would still be beneficial. Word would spread real fast that you don't mess around with peoples property. Totally your call. Your the one that has to be satisfied. Appreciate you keeping us up to date regardless!! Also you had me laughing my a$$ off when you told him he was lucky you didn't relocate his teeth!! 😂

41 - 60 of 90 Posts