The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
I thought the same about the stake. Had to be tough in this frozen ground! He had to come back to put the note there. He put some effort into it. Even cut a hole in the cardboard to hang it. I’m thinking homeowner. They walked back to the house and made the sign and came back. View attachment 179638
Hard to see in the picture but is there someones name and a phone # on it? Looks like it's written in pencil?? To the left of the hole in the card board?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yep. I wrote the number of the officer to call right on it. I had it in my hand and it was the only thing to write on when I was talking to him by phone.

·
Registered
21,809 Posts
I would take that as s threat.There's two way s to handle it.The way you did with the addition of showing it to the police.Me personally,I'd bait the guy into confronting me by making sure he was seeing my sorry arse around that area on a regular basis.My guess is,he knows the laws and knows how to identify a set so he's probably not an anti-hunter.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
He knows how to break the law too, stole the man's trap. I'd bet you a steak dinner the tag was in fact on the trap like the OP showed, the guy who left the note is an obvious tool who broke the law and thinks he owns the gamelands, likely next to his home.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Reset another trap in the exact same spot and set up a trail cam that sends pics to your phone. Hopefully you can conceal the camera enough for him to not see it until it is too late, even if he tries to steal and/or destroy the camera. If you can get the camera several feet in the air with a step stool or climbing sticks or whatever, all the better.

He's a thief. He'll screw up sooner or later.

·
Registered
26,971 Posts
when you re-visit that spot, dont go alone, dont go unarmed, and do not cause a confrontation. as others have said, they left a threatening note and are already guilty of theft, threats and possibly harassment. notify the proper PD..state or local.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Chances are that he was not out walking around with a large piece of corrugated cardboard. It’s one thing to steal a trap, but this guy went back to his vehicle, wrote the threatening message, and returned to where he stole the trap. This may qualify as “aggravated theft.” Sounds like a confrontational, aggressive person. There is a likelihood of him attempting to instigate a fight. Don't take the bait. Film him and follow due process.

Have a look at this video of a trapper being harassed. Verbal confrontation begins at about the 2:30 mark. At the 3:10 mark the trapper is physically confronted. But the trapper was smart and did not reciprocate.

It is NOT an easy thing to do. The instinctive, impulsive response is to take a swing at the harasser, which is what the harasser wants.

There's a follow up video with the trapper explaining how the game warden caught the perpetrator and issued a citation:

Use your head not your fists (or your firearm).

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Put it back in the same spot with a trail camera or cameras, that will mess with the idiot. Nothing says luvin like video..

If he gets full on idiot make sure your cameras are marked like mine "you may be able to steal this one, how about the ones you do not see? Smile idiot!

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have to work tomorrow so I'll be out there at 6:00am. Still have two sets to check. Was actually going to hang a couple cables until i saw that. I'll be taking my 9mm instead of the 22.
I could have mistaken some of the k-9 tracks i was seeing as coyote but they were dog. There was a good bit of k9 tracks but no boot track alongside. I followed those tracks a few different directions for a while so I know for a fact a paired set was working the area.
I also know a lot of people in that area. I wouldn't be surprised if he runs his mouth to someone about it and i find out. He'll probably figure out he was in the wrong and won't call me. I plan on keeping my sets out at least as long as the weather holds out. If he finds it im sure he'll remember what pain it was to pull the first one. I plan on prosecuting regardless now.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I trap some places with some high foot traffic. One place in particular holds a lot of critters and I would even go as far as check in the am, snap them off and reset before dark. That gets old really quick! It's not the people just out for a walk that bothers me it's the ones with dogs. I am a dog owner and I totally agree that they should be able to walk there dog just like I can set traps. I only wish that maybe in some of these public places especially at a gate or parking area the game commission would put up signage that would just remind pet owners that it its trapping season and don't advise walking your dog during these times. I don't think it would deter all but more than likely deter a bunch of the crazies. I really do think that some people think that trapping was outlawed and not something that is done in this state.

I walk my dog on public ground every Sunday morning. So don't take this post that I am in anyways against hunting with your dogs, or just out for a walk like I am. I just wish there was more signage that might warn some people that truly don't know that trapping is in place on these game lands or state forest or were ever it is on public that you decide to place traps. I know that if my dog got in someone's trap, that I would never blame the trapper as long as he is doing it by the law.

·
Registered
104 Posts
When I was younger we coon hunted and the dogs would get in a trap now and again.We where always close by and got the traps off and the dogs went right back to hunting.The only case where a dogs foot would really be hurt is if it was left in over night when the temps where below freezing.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I would take that as s threat.There's two way s to handle it.The way you did with the addition of showing it to the police.Me personally,I'd bait the guy into confronting me by making sure he was seeing my sorry arse around that area on a regular basis.My guess is,he knows the laws and knows how to identify a set so he's probably not an anti-hunter.
This for sure.
Sneak back in there and find a good location to get a camera hidden very well.
Then I'd be going back in Saturday morning about 7am and making myself very visible making a flashy set that can't be missed. Give him another cheap trap to steal.
You're a trapper, catch the vermin.

There is no chance he's contacting you or giving your trap back.

I had my share of neighbor run ins. Most turned out OK.
One guy got so upset screaming at me that his face turned beet red and he actually started crying. It was just uncomfortable to watch. LOL
After he was done screaming at me I leaned out my truck window and calmly explained who I was, who the farmer was, who the landowner was, and that I had permission from both to be there. He then said "Oh, they did mention your name. I guess I got a little worked up."
Later I got a call from the farmer, who got a call from the landowner, who got a call from the bawl baby.......saying that I threatened him and the owner wanted me to leave because he didn't want any problems. Turns out the guy worked for the landowner. Can't win them all no matter how you handle it.

21 - 40 of 90 Posts