The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stuck 3 sets in Monday on a game commission strip mine co-op property with a ton of coyote sign. Checking them this morning i found a large peice of cardboard with quite a few vulgarities on it and they took the trap. First line said where is your tag mother .....? followed by how ignorant I was and how he hopes to see me up there. Now i know all my traps are tagged. Checked them all when I cleaned them up from cat trapping at camp. I wrap around the inside of the swivel and crimp down with pliers. alot of my tags go thru the dye pot so they arent very visible if you don't look closely. I also have 2 other sets in the area within 100 yds and they are tagged as well. I was pretty heated!! First time this has happened to me. There are some homes relatively close, about 400 yds. The land is also being hunted as a antlerless special regs area since firearms are in until 1/29.
I notified the game commission when I got home. I got a call back within an hour. Officer is familiar with the property and i told him exactly wher the set was along with the other two. My suggestion was to leave a phone number and a tag with a note asking for my trap back. I secured it to where the theif secured theirs on my urine post. Hopefully he'll contact me regarding the trap and i can get a name to turn into the officer. I have a feeling he might have found my tag later on further inspection, or will investigate it closer when/if he sees the note. I did say in the note that i had other traps on the property that are set and tagged. I didnt say they were relatively close in fear he might look for them too. If he does call, Im not expecting a happy camper. Especially if its a homeowner whos dog I snapped. Should i pull the other sets or wait it out? What else would you do?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I stuck 3 sets in Monday on a game commission strip mine co-op property with a ton of coyote sign. Checking them this morning i found a large peice of cardboard with quite a few vulgarities on it and they took the trap. First line said where is your tag mother .....? followed by how ignorant I was and how he hopes to see me up there. Now i know all my traps are tagged. Checked them all when I cleaned them up from cat trapping at camp. I wrap around the inside of the swivel and crimp down with pliers. alot of my tags go thru the dye pot so they arent very visible if you don't look closely. I also have 2 other sets in the area within 100 yds and they are tagged as well. I was pretty heated!! First time this has happened to me. There are some homes relatively close, about 400 yds. The land is also being hunted as a antlerless special regs area since firearms are in until 1/29.
I notified the game commission when I got home. I got a call back within an hour. Officer is familiar with the property and i told him exactly wher the set was along with the other two. My suggestion was to leave a phone number and a tag with a note asking for my trap back. I secured it to where the theif secured theirs on my urine post. Hopefully he'll contact me regarding the trap and i can get a name to turn into the officer. I have a feeling he might have found my tag later on further inspection, or will investigate it closer when/if he sees the note. I did say in the note that i had other traps on the property that are set and tagged. I didnt say they were relatively close in fear he might look for them too. If he does call, Im not expecting a happy camper. Especially if its a homeowner whos dog I snapped. Should i pull the other sets or wait it out? What else would you do?
yah i hate those people that do that crap

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I notified the game commission when I got home. I got a call back within an hour. Officer is familiar with the property and i told him exactly wher the set was along with the other two. My suggestion was to leave a phone number and a tag with a note asking for my trap back. I secured it to where the theif secured theirs on my urine post. Hopefully he'll contact me regarding the trap and i can get a name to turn into the officer.
What did the game warden say he was going to do?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He thought my suggestion was valid as long as my note was respectful which it was. I did add in the note that I had notified the PGC. The officer said they would be fined for disturbing my trap. He also said he knew some people who lived along the road that he would talk to about any leads. If the theif contacts me and is agreeable to return my trap I guess i can let it slide since my tags are hard to see. If they want to be a d-bag, well I guess we will be having a three way discussion with the officer.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I'd pull your other sets if they're all mb 550s. I've lost my share already it ain't fun but there's really nothing you can do unless you catch them in the act an get a name or license plate number. I'm not trapping a bunch of public ground this year that I normally do because I had traps/critters stolen multiple times already this season. Sounds like you caught their dog that's why they were so jacked, it could be dog hunters running coyotes or maybe bird hunters either way they'll probably be back.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I know how you feel. I have had similar notes in the past.
I personally would have the game warden fine him regardless if the thief was nice or not. Here's why, it sets an important precedent that traps are the property of the trapper and are not to be messed with.
Also, no matter if the tag is visible to him or not. None of the thief's business of what are tags look like, they have no authority to mess with them.
If he was all fired concerned about no tag, even though you had it tagged, he should have left the trap and contacted the warden.
Sorry this happened to you man. We feel your pain.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Anyone other than a game warden who messes with your trap is a piece of garbage. An MB550 isn't going to hurt anybodys dog, I have had one of our cats get caught in mine before, still fine. I hope you get your trap back at least, and I hope the ticks from a thousand coyotes infest his crotch.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have caught probably 6 peoples dog this year. Only one was a issue. They disturbed my set the following day with a tree branch. I don't tolerate that. Called the local WCO and they took care of it. I don't mess around with theives. If they do it to you and get away with it, they will most likely do it again. If there is anyway to hide a trail camera in the area and put another trap there I would. Use chain and lock it to something that they can't just walk away with. The warden I dealt with said unless you can get someone to confess to something or have pictures or videos of someone disturbing your sets, it hard to prosecute. Good luck, hopefully you get your stuff back. By the way, if your legal then don't let this stuff get you down. You have just as much right to be there as the next person. Some people forget that trapping is still alive in PA and it's trapping season!

1 - 20 of 90 Posts