The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys do to prevent your cameras from being stole. I've lost 2 this year. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Try to put them in low people traffic areas. If high risk area put them out in July and August when few people are in the woods. Use a lock on a security box screwed into a tree. Paint the security box to match it's background, place some natural debris/leaves, limbs etc. around or close to them. Don't tell anybody you have them out much less where. Don't share the photo's so someone can put 2 & 2 together to search for them.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
My cameras are in security (bear safe boxes) primarily for wildlife protection, lag bolted and padlocked. Cameras are set up on private land. Record serial numbers and engrave identification into the camera.
I also second the additional information submitted by Born2Hunt. Thanks for sharing.
Check EBay or Graigslist in case the camera appears on there.
Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
10-4 I didn't mention I also record the cams serial numbers and engrave the cams and the security cases with my military ID Number...A number one always seems to remember.

Don't label 1,2,3,4 etc. which is a clue for the thief to look for more if they find one.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I googled " DIY trail camera security boxes" there are some easy fixes I never thought of. Thanks for your help. Alan

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Cables/security boxes etc keep honest people honest. Theives will get it if they want it. They cannot steal what they cannot see. That is the best advice I can offer.

Had two stolen this year. First time ever. Figured it was one of two guys. Came right out and asked the one I figured it was. The answer did not convince me it was not him. Talked to him the other day again and he brought it up, which doesn't completely convince me it was not him, but for him to ask about it says he either doesn't have much a conscience, or it really was not him.

Time will bring it full circle.

·
Registered
248 Posts
This might be a stupid question or idea but I was thinking that when you are first setting your camera's up and are putting the date and time in, too bad there isn't a way to permanently put your name on there so it can't be erased. At least that way when the thief tries to post pictures your name will be on there.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a Uway NX50. It will not properly work without a security/password entered. if you choose to put it in secure mode. you also register it and if the person who helped themselves to your camera decides to try to send back to company they give you your camera back. Maybe other brands do this to. Luckily I have not lost mine.remember location and camouflage. Hang it as if someone might steel it so think outside the box.

·
Registered
870 Posts
pallof said:
i use the bear safe box and 3" screws. i've never had one stolen yet.
And that bear box could be pried off the tree within seconds.

Bear boxes are only good at preventing a bear from breaking your cam. They stand out like a bulls eye in the woods and theives love to make extra money selling them on ebay.

Chains and locks do nothing as theives are now equipped with bolt cutters.

The only thing you can do is place them in secluded areas and hope for the best.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
I would recommend trying to place them in the most reclusive place as possible; however, I would not give up on the locks, chains, bolts, camo paint and debris as deterents.

Of course they are ways to steal trail cams some short of cutting down the tree. I suppose most thieves carry around this equipment and with all the battery operated tools on the market. However, it might just keep a few honest, if they have to leave the woods to tote back their burglar tools.

And put ID on the boxes and cams as a back up opportunity to catch the thief's in their after market. A Dremel Engraver works well $25. This etching has worked, they just might get busted for a lot more crimes or you just might find your cam in the woods in another location....hopefully the unlawful owner was able to get their photo on the cam.

I have often thought about placing a note in a zip lock bag stating:

Reason not to take this camera:

There are other cams in the area and I probably have your picture. Could only encourage them to look for and take the others if there are any.

This camera will not work without the secret code to activate. If sent to the manufacture they will return it to the locate sheriff's office. They probable don't care.

Oh and I know your are an honest person and will respect the property of others...Thank you. I can hear the thieves laughing about that one in the local bar....

There is always risk involved, but "Nothing ventured nothing gained."

Oh and don't place them while their is snow on the ground for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
BassBlaster said:
pallof said:
i use the bear safe box and 3" screws. i've never had one stolen yet.
And that bear box could be pried off the tree within seconds.

Bear boxes are only good at preventing a bear from breaking your cam. They stand out like a bulls eye in the woods and theives love to make extra money selling them on ebay.

Chains and locks do nothing as theives are now equipped with bolt cutters.

The only thing you can do is place them in secluded areas and hope for the best.
something is better than nothing. and i cover my bear box with gorilla brand camo tape. they blend in really well. yes, someone could just kick it hard enough to get it off. plus, i tend to put mine in places where most people arent likely to walk, or if they do travel that area, i put it on the side of the tree that they wont see it...facing away from trails, etc.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Im converting my python cables over to Very expensive HARDENED Chain! YOU CANT CUT THROUGH IT WITH bolt cutters nor hack saw it! Only one way to get it off the tree Cut the tree down. Good luck!

http://www.1st-chainsupply.com/chain/security_maxx/security-chain-1-2/index.htm

Available in two sizes! The 3/8" size will withstand the bite of a 4 ft bolt cutter under 300 lbs of weight! Use the 1/2" size and the jaws of 90% of all bolt cutters can't fit around it. PLUS it'll take so long to cut through with a grinder or hacksaw, your thief will throw his tools down and leave in disgust!

A word about chain "hardness": Remember that Security Maxx chain is "thru hardened" and not "case hardened" like our competitors. What does that mean? Case hardening affects only the shell or "skin" of the chain, just a few thousandths deep into the metal. A thief can easily file through the case hardened part of the skin and then use bolt cutters in the file cut - it's just soft steel under that and it's a simple task to finish off the job. You can't do that with thru hardened chain. Many of our competitors say they have a hardness of 56 to 65 HRC on
their case hardened chain. Our thru hardened chain has a hardness of 38 to 42 HRC which is the highest you can get on a thru hardened chain. AND it's hard all the way through.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I found an old antenna from a cb radio and mounted it neatly to my bear box for my Scout Guard. Made it look professionally done. I then made a sticker that stated: Your picture has already been sent to my cell phone. I have yet to have one stolen lately since I did this. I have got many pictures of people looking at this camera. Maybe this idea will help others......

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Axle5 said:
I found an old antenna from a cb radio and mounted it neatly to my bear box for my Scout Guard. Made it look professionally done. I then made a sticker that stated: Your picture has already been sent to my cell phone. I have yet to have one stolen lately since I did this. I have got many pictures of people looking at this camera. Maybe this idea will help others......
This may be one of the better ideas. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Axle5 said:
Very Good idea!! Thanks!

·
Registered
802 Posts
pic sent to my cell phone? LMAO....How you gonna find the person if it's on public land. ..anyway I see cameras on public land and just pose for them and wave...if you don't camoflage it you are asking to get it stolen...people will steal anything to make a buck.They are great tools for seeing widlife activity but you take a chance putting one up...I walk those out of the way places and see one occasionally....Hid it as best as you can is my advise.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Duke, You dont need to find the person. Havent you never seen cameras that send your pic to your cell phone or email???? Lots of cameras on the markett can do that. Doesnt matter where they are, on public or private land. Your pic is already to the owners phone before they even touch the camera. You dont need to know who they are if they didnt touch your camera, Also if they did try to mess with it you might not know the person but i guarantee someone you show the pic to would. Axle makes a fake one to make it look like it took a pic and sent it to the owner of the camera. Whats there to be confused about? Axle your set up wouldnt of worked on Duke. sorry. LOL hahahahhahaahahaa

1 - 20 of 32 Posts