The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have or had a stoeger sxs shotgun, i need a new .410 for rabbit hunting my old stevens 311 is shot out, i hunt alot and abuse them(brush). Just wanted a couple of opinions on them, i don't like anything but sxs's and u are very limited to new, and everybody thinks the old ones are worth a million bucks. thanks

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I had a Stoeger Uplander in 12ga. Man was that thing a piece of junk. Traded it in on a new Remington SxS... And I wish I had never gotten rid of the Stoeger. Nothing fit togther right, it broke on me once, but that thing was a great fitting, stright shooting gun.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I had an uplander 12 ga. and it worked just fine.....shot many a dove and rabbit with it.For the price you can't beat it and you don't have to baby it like you would a $1000 sxs.
Maybe "Trapjaw" had an older one...the new ones are better.

The 410 is nice for 300 bucks....

·
Registered
981 Posts
TRAPJAW said:
I had a Stoeger Uplander in 12ga. Man was that thing a piece of junk. Traded it in on a new Remington SxS... And I wish I had never gotten rid of the Stoeger. Nothing fit togther right, it broke on me once, but that thing was a great fitting, stright shooting gun.
Your saying "you wish you had never gotten rid of the of the Stoeger"??????????

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've got an Uplander 20 ga. w/ double triggers. I did some research before i bought and the general I found was some people have problems with the single trigger models. Graet gun for the money and it hits what I shoot at.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i didn't shoot out the stevens my left barrel has quite a ding in it and you can see small dings inside the barrel on both sides including the left. had a gunsmith tell me he could fix the right to almost new but the left ding is in the forcing cone and he couldn't guarantee a sucessful fix.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Did some research on those awhile back myself. I've found that some people have had good luck with them and love, while other folks just had poor luck and hate them. That tells me one thing, ..... they must have poor QC at the factory. Some runs are good, some aren't.

You give any thought on looking for a used sxs on gunbroker.com or at local gun shops?
I think you'd be better off buying something used American made than a new import considering their QC issues.

Just a thought. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i did, we have a couple ofgood used gun shops, dugans in hughesville wants too much for what he has, and i got 225 dollars in cabela gift cards, si i kinda want to use that before i dip into my savings. thanks

·
Registered
981 Posts
To bad your not near Shyda's gun shop in Lebanon,Pa there Uplanders are 309.00 for any gage.I've seen <u>used</u> Uplanders at Cabelas for over 400.00
But then Cabelas is always over priced on there used guns.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
they have the 2 trigger model for 329.99 3 in .410

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
MOSSYOAK1957 said:
TRAPJAW said:
Your saying "you wish you had never gotten rid of the of the Stoeger"??????????
Yes, indead I am. That gun fit me much better, patterned better and I could actually use it for duck hunting. The Remington is nice, but it's given me some problems. The bottom of the trigger is sharp, and "bites" my finger when shooting heavy loads. The biggest headache though is the ejectors, although selective, don't always work right. There are a couple of live rounds laying at the bottom of Presque Isle bay because the one day I did take it out it would eject the live round as well as the spent. I just wish I had my Stoeger back, it was just a good "beating" gun.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Your money is better spent on a gun with one barrel if your only going to spend $400 on a 2 barrel gun.

Regulating 2 barrels to the same poa is a costly endeavor. These companies are using cheap labor and materials to keep the costs way down.

Think of it this way. If they made a pump gun under the same criteria as they do their doubles, they would only cost $100.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i dont like and never will use a pump semi lever, or over under, i am a diehard double man, just dont have anotherrabbit gun have plenty of 12's a 10 a 16 and a 20 but no .410 but thanks

·
Registered
363 Posts
I got a uplander 20ga. w/ dbl tigger... all I use for bunnies. I have had it a number of years and I have never had a problem. Good gun for the $ just my 2 cents

·
Registered
981 Posts
Just go buy one in 410 and if you don't like it I'll buy it from you.....If that's all you can afford and you like it buy it,we all can't afford a high price sxs.
I went dove hunting last year with a guy that had a $1500.00 sxs shotgun and I was using a Stoeger Uplander sxs and we both went one for one on the doves.
We both were using the same ammo.
It's like buying a $80,000 Corvette or a $8,000 truck they both get you where you want to go.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks guys for the input, just wanted a 2nd opinion, going down next week to get it thanks again

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
BB--have you checked Troxell's on Lycoming Creek Road?

Something else to keep in mind--Cabelas prices are negotiable on guns and they will match any advertised price from a competitor (not Internet).

Even Internet prices can help leverage the negotiation.

I went in loaded with "documentation" when I bought my last bow in the fall--and got an excellent deal

1 - 18 of 18 Posts