The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting a light weight over under, shotgun

came across these two models, any insight on these two. I love the looks of the Mossberg, but the Stoeger is a lot less money, I am not one to buy cheap guns, but just figured I would see if someone had shot either of these two.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I was in your shoes last year and look at both of those and read lots of reviews. The Stoeger really seemed like junk the few times I handled them. I didn't mind the way the Mossberg felt but I read enough bad reviews to concern me. I ended up getting a CZ Canvasback which was a little more money than the Mossberg but not much. I paid $670 for mine and I love it. I've shot it probably close to 1000 rounds and have not had an issue with it yet.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I had a Stoeger that I traded off, I shot 3 pheasants with it with no problems.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Another vote for the CZ's............I have handled the Mossberg's and they are awfully heavy for a double gun, and the Stoegers are well, Stoegers.....

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Held the Mossberg in 28 ga today. Loved it! It will be a grouse gun. The 20 was nice but the 28 was awesome.

Got a reference to an ATI Calvary. Was told its 100 less than the missberg and a lot more to look at

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
My two cents, if you want break action cheap get a Stoeger. I've owned just about all the low end SxS's out there(never owned a Moss.). They are all pretty chincy, but nothing has handled or functioned better than the Stoeger that I traded in. I currently have a Rem Spartan that I think is an absolute piece of junk, but I really need a SxS for upland. Don't ask me why, when I take my auto's or pumps out I can't hit the broad side of a barn if I were standing inside.

I was looking at the low end O/U's last summer as a trap/sporting clays gun. I picked up the CZ's and American Tactical Imports and while they were a little thinner and lighter they still felt just as poorly assembled as the Stoegers. I ended up saving up my money and buying a Browning Cynergy. Best decision I ever made.

But if I can ever find an old fixed choke Stoeger I'll drop kick that Spartan right in the trash.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
You should take a look at the Steven's 512 Goldwing. It's a really nice gun for the price, I like it better than the mossberg and the stoeger.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a Stoeger and have no complaints. haven't had the opportunity to kill a grouse or rabbit with it yet but busted tons of clay birds with it this summer!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have the Stoeger Model 3000 (I think). I bought it about 4 years ago at Dicks & was $250. I wanted a cheap 20 guage O/U for beating the brush for rabbits. I couldn't justify spending big bucks on a gun considering how much abuse it receives when we're rabbit hunting with beagles. It's shot a ton of rabbits, pheasants, & a few woodcock for me. Its a cheaply built gun but has taken the punishment well up till this year. The shoulder stock just cracked this season & will require major repairs or a total replacement. A quick internet search hasn't produced any replacement stocks yet. So the lack of replacement parts may be another thing to consider.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I spent a lot of time looking at different double guns this year for grouse, sporting clays, skeet, trap... really I wanted an everything shotgun. The key is find the one that fits you and get that gun. I tried a lot of guns and I found the brownings fit me the best. So now I am waiting until I find a used browning that fits my budget. Find the gun that fits right. I have a stoeger semi and it is a good enough gun for occasional hunting and really turkey hunting but I have found it didnt fit right and I didnt care much for it after a few hundred rounds on the clay fields. I have read good reviews on the mossberg silver reserve II.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Let me stir the pot... save your money and buy a real gun. You get what you pay for.
I've seen both guns at the skeet club and the Mossbergs repeatedly went back to the factory and the Stoegers where like swinging a 2X4. The 2 X 4 looked better too.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ended up trading my 17 for an American Arms Silver 2. Not a bad gun, and IMO better than the two that I had posted. Light, swings easy, Just have to improve my shooting skills.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Save your money and buy something better! Had a Stoeger, both barrels went off at the same time,had to send it back. Shot about 15 or so rounds of Sporting Clays, and the stock cracked around the receiver.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I purchased a Franchi 20 ga. semi auto privately for my grandson. It was recoil operated and he just couldn't get the knack of pulling it in tight enough for the gun to cycle so even though he could hit with it pretty well for his firts year, he has essentially a single shot gun because he never got the second shot. I traded the Franchi on a Stoeger O/U in 20 ga for him because it fit him perfectly, and he can now have two shots. While the gun is not the quality of my SXSs, since I am not sure how long he will stay with hunting because he is heavily involved in ice hocky, the gun functions well and I have had no problems with it and it suits the purpose. If he stays with hunting, perhaps a better gun will be in the future but for now, it serves its purpose.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts